For Better or For Worse - Ch. 46

Dex-chan lover
Just thought I'd leave my review of this series here (you can read the entirety of this series in other places).
Overall it's a pretty darn fun series, though it's mostly just fluff romance with no particular drama or fuss outside of the very ending, and that gets resolved quite quickly, which is great because the misunderstanding was bafflingly stupid.

There are a couple of flies that, if not in the ointment, are observably flying around it (basically nothing but spoilers ahead);

• MC's sister is absolutely one of the most appealing characters in this comic, and charms the reader each time she appears, especially in the second half. But she's not really given any sort of due in the ending. It's not her story, despite revolving around her in the beginning, but it'd be nice have done something with her at the end. She's just one of those characters where you see an ending and go "BUT WHAT ABOUT 'X'!?"

• Speaking of forgotten characters, the grandpa who raised the MMC. He's essentially told by MC that she and MMC will now cut him and the rest of the family off... and it ends with the relationship being like that... Despite the series showing he's a good and loving grandfather who's made mistakes.

• The series is seemingly about fighting againse fate (ensuring the sister lives, and then trying to keep MC's and MMC's love alive), but then out of left field the ending is suddenly; "actually, no, fate good". The FMC and MMC are star-crossed lovers, and it's kinda dumb and antithetical to the series as a whole.

• The "villain" of the series (the "original" MC) is also kinda strange. She was obsessed with MMC in her past life, and also seemingly very self hating to the point of mental illness... but the moment she switched to someone else's body, she was mentally fine... It has the dark consequence of saying that some people's genetics or brains really will just control your life, almost as much as fate apparently does.
    More interesting is that there could have been discussion about this. IT DOES SEEM that MC actually is also suffering from obsessiveness compared to her last life, and that quirkyness may also be a part of it. But self hatred and body dismorphia is never brought up. If you're going to do this, go all in, or don't.

• So if MC is actually a reincarnator, why does she remember her last life and remember this life's "plot" as a book? The ending raises a few questions.

• So MC, MMC and the "Villain Girl" are all living their lives in a new dimension that's almost exactly like their old one (the only change being villain girl's hair?)... okay, cool... so what happened to everyone in the old one? Did they all immediately die when the bodies were switched?

Overall, the series is a lot of fun, but really needed some extra chapters for cleanup to answer the questions raised by it's "big twist" ending. Still, glad I finally went back and finished the series, I'll remember it fondly overall. Particularly its art; it's got this kind of fleshed out full body look to it, despite being very stylised - most asian comics tend to like making everyone very slim and slight, but the girls all feel like they have some heft to them, and the abstract cutesy and comedy drawings are lovely. It also seems to pay particular love and attention to the clothing of the characters, which while I may not have been pouring over, I did admire.

So worth coming back to, outta ten.

Users who are viewing this thread