Frieren - a classic in the making?

What are your thoughts on the currently airing Sousou no Frieren? I almost never make judgement calls before an anime finishes airing, but this one is a special case. It just might be a future classic. The themes, character depth, pacing and animation quality are all amazing. It's also inoffensive enough to be liked by the wide audience.
wc1f5u.jpg
Do you think it will stand the test of time?

Dex-chan lover
I think that while the series is great the fandom is too inactive to keep the love for the series flowing. It's one of the few series that I think I would recommend to people, but there isn't anyone for me to recommend it too that I know. I think after the series ends no one will remember it. I love it but the test of time will turn it to dust.

Dex-chan lover
Remember the saying "don't say you like the anime if you haven't read the manga". And both the manga and the anime are unfinished, so no matter how much I like them and why, they can still wreck the entire thing, get axed or simply go into an indefinite hiatus. So let it rain first, and don't expect the Z generation to remember it after a few months. And considering the immintent backruptcy of every single anime studio (except Yostar Studios), these may be the last years of anime.

Dex-chan lover
[...]both the manga and the anime are unfinished, so no matter how much I like them and why, they can still wreck the entire thing, get axed or simply go into an indefinite hiatus.[...]
True, though let's hope the mangaka is smart/clever enough to not go off the rails one way or another, and the production studio is patient enough to let the sauce cook on its own.
[...]And considering the immintent backruptcy of every single anime studio (except Yostar Studios), these may be the last years of anime.
Eh... the US import market survived the partial collapse of the mid-'00's. I know it's a different animal, but I'm not too concerned about the Japanese market. There may be some reorganization, but it'll come through in some substantially stronger form. It just means they have to learn a similar lesson (in this case, stop adapting all the shitty isekai and focus on better source material, like Frieren and Helck).

I do really like this series, both in print and on screen, and would like to see it quietly succeed.

Group Leader
Faraway Paladin is better than Frieren, and I own the physical volumes of Frieren (the paladin is still not available here) and have been following both basically since inception.
(I discovered later on the Faraway Paladin is adapted from a light novel, but I was too far into the comic version to switch.)
I'm annoyed it took two years or so for people to wake up to both of them and only because they had an anime adaptation.
Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but even in the years past it wasn't this bad: we went from being effectively a "literally who" to people making essays about the nature of demons and the phylosophical ramifications.

Dex-chan lover
I thought FREIEN IS a slow recipe to disaster, but since the other competitors are WORSE, I mean as bad as it can be. Freien is available on NETFLIX, thus it became top ONE.

Never underestimate the money paid by streaming companies to make their brand top one even if it is just decent.

Dex-chan lover
Faraway Paladin is better than Frieren, and I own the physical volumes of Frieren (the paladin is still not available here) and have been following both basically since inception.
(I discovered later on the Faraway Paladin is adapted from a light novel, but I was too far into the comic version to switch.)
I'm annoyed it took two years or so for people to wake up to both of them and only because they had an anime adaptation.
Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but even in the years past it wasn't this bad: we went from being effectively a "literally who" to people making essays about the nature of demons and the phylosophical ramifications.
Studios have this Hentai first policy since it sells plus they can try many art styles in it. It is risk free to creativity because plot and character is dead on hentai.

If it sells on hentai then we make it as the new art style on budget anime.

Dex-chan lover
If you ask me if an unfinished work can be a classic or masterpiece, why yes.

The reason for that is simply because of the legacy or impact the work may have had already during it's rather immature lifespan.

Let's go for the quick list:
-Berserk
-Welcome to the Ballroom
-Frieren

I think each of those have their own merits that despite being unfinished, or won't be finished, have left their mark on manga history already.

Probably tons more that I forgot, but these are definitely the most memorable and current.

Dex-chan lover
I think that while the series is great the fandom is too inactive to keep the love for the series flowing. It's one of the few series that I think I would recommend to people, but there isn't anyone for me to recommend it too that I know. I think after the series ends no one will remember it. I love it but the test of time will turn it to dust.
That’s a perplexingly surface level way of perceiving it. Idk if you’ve been living under a rock or anything, but a good majority of the anime community are already talking about a lot, whether positively or negatively. Sure at the moment it doesn’t have the level of iconic as some franchises have already established with all the given time, but it’s already making commendable waves, at least. We’re not gonna act like almost every other popular successful series has went through something like this (no, not the easy-to-digest battle shounen spree).

Users who are viewing this thread