Fuyu Fenrir no Itoshigo to Natta Watashi ga, Zetsubou kara Iyasareteiku Hanashi - Vol. 4 Ch. 18

Regarding the use of the word "machine":

Originally the word "machine" was used to refer to any object that performed a function which would otherwise need to be done by hand.

In this case, think about things like the printing press, looms, tapestry weavers... etc

Although nowadays we think of electronics when we hear the word "machines", I assume that Prince Christopher referred to Elle's phone as a "machine" specifically defined as explained above; particularly because of it's intended usage... communication over long distances.

Regarding the use of the word "machine":

Originally the word "machine" was used to refer to any object that performed a function which would otherwise need to be done by hand.

In this case, think about things like the printing press, looms, tapestry weavers... etc

Although nowadays we think of electronics when we hear the word "machines", I assume that Prince Christopher referred to Elle's phone as a "machine" specifically defined as explained above; particularly because of it's intended usage... communication over long distances.
i was about to comment on the same thing ^^

機械 is actually not as young as we think it is, with its alternate spelling 器械 appearing as far back as 718 ce.

the word "machine" itself has its origins in middle french (so around the renaissance period), which of course, comes from latin "machina".

Users who are viewing this thread