Gendai Majo no Shuushoku Jijou - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - What Magic Can Do

Another overly enthusiastic witch that meddles with anything and everything however she likes. This is like, the third witch of the sort I see, you probably know Akko from My little witch academia (wouldn't recommend as I lost so many braincells watching it). Up until this chapter her requests has always been one-sided and her tendency to go overboard was not so bad, as it didn't really harm anybody and the requester asked for it.

When it starts involving two parties with different interests, the story is different now. The immaturity really starts to sink in for me and to be honest, I am not a big fan of this kind of displays. The nosiness is just plain annoying upon reaching a level, and stops being helpful or desired. What I would really love to read is a spin off based on the black haired girl. The character is mostly composed and mature, but doesn't lose its childishness. That is what I call a good balance. Neko is just a joke at this point with how much the author tries to make overly cheerful.

Edit:
Worst chapter so far in the story. A lot happened on both fronts: the romance of the guy character and the character development of Neko. Me personally, I can't really see how they started getting along in the end, since the manga presented the guy as the typical awkward Japanese guy that stutter and only say "Hai hai" (this last bit I haven't seen in mangas much, but is what I imagine they based the character on). The guy seriously has no rizz at all and the girl was just being nice. Ain't no way they just warmed up to each other like that. You literally couldn't have forced this little romance story more.

And the character development part, what is with manga characters and the fact that they take one life experience and begin applying it everywhere in their lifes. The dude said no love potions and shit (and yeah bro, I thought Neko should have been aware of this shit already unless she is a sociopath who doesn't give a shit about other people's feelings), and somehow Neko managed to make it into a life lesson. Like, woman, using magic to check the map is still fine you know. It is a completely different category than your love potions, so it is not strictly no magic.

You know what is missing in this chapter? The realization for Neko that sometimes, her client's requests affect more than just the clients themselves. Baker girl didn't seem to mind this stunt all that much, but realistically I would be borderline bewildered (and annoyed) by the actions of the 15 year old girl desperately trying to set me up with a guy and the fact that she can't catch a hint that baker girl is single and want to keep it that way. What's up with that shit kid? Mind your own damn business. Everyone is smiles and fun, until you realized that what she did was not that different from a forced date that your mom tricked you into going. Ah, now that is certainly something most people wouldn't be happy with.

I am 70% sure that she will realize this the bad way after someone gets hurt or seriously mad, since her little brain can't process basic logic. Please don't mind me writing an entire essay for a manga chapter, just had to get this shit out since I hate the stereotypical plot tools on this chapter: being la Celestina, or becoming overly self-conscious over something not that relevant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread