Genjitsushugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki - Vol. 10 Ch. 50 - The Balance Scale Between The Past and The Future (3)

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter.
If it was only that simple to convince displaced people to integrate into a host society... even if it's short terms until whatever upheaval is settled, first gen refugees will never be able to forget what they had to leave behind. Unlike migrants, the decision to move is not one they had any real choice in the matter. The host country may be generous and receive them with open arms, but it is naive to think they can just start again and carry on as new citizens. At the same time, I can understand why the host country needs to have them out of camps and integrate rather than being a public drain on resources and a potential source of unrest. Cultural Integration doesn't have to mean full assimilation though - a balance can be achieved where the new culture is given a chance to take place in the host country without being intrusive or demanding while the host nation learns to appreciate the richness and diversity brought by the new citizens. It takes many, many years for this balance to be achieved, however. In fact, it is almost never the first generation of refugees that enjoy the benefits of integration, but their children who have a chance to be part of both cultures and find a way to make it work.

Dex-chan lover
...How do they know about bloodtype? Did someone invent a Coombs test? The development of science and technology just moved 500 years instantly.
Thanks for the chapter.
If it was only that simple to convince displaced people to integrate into a host society... even if it's short terms until whatever upheaval is settled, first gen refugees will never be able to forget what they had to leave behind. Unlike migrants, the decision to move is not one they had any real choice in the matter. The host country may be generous and receive them with open arms, but it is naive to think they can just start again and carry on as new citizens. At the same time, I can understand why the host country needs to have them out of camps and integrate rather than being a public drain on resources and a potential source of unrest. Cultural Integration doesn't have to mean full assimilation though - a balance can be achieved where the new culture is given a chance to take place in the host country without being intrusive or demanding while the host nation learns to appreciate the richness and diversity brought by the new citizens. It takes many, many years for this balance to be achieved, however. In fact, it is almost never the first generation of refugees that enjoy the benefits of integration, but their children who have a chance to be part of both cultures and find a way to make it work.
They'll be eating bugs and living in pods in no time!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter.
Like some things in this series the technology is all over the place, also the social technology is all over the place. This is written by someone who's never been a war/disaster refugee so they cannot (just like me) understand the thought process.

On the other hand lumping all refugees as being unwilling wouldn't make sense as not everyone would say no so I feel the author did well enough by having the ones who want to stay to stay and the others to go. As an Aussie I can attest that people intergration takes time but then it enriches your culture in turn as you get new/different things that transfer over with the newer people. We have the worlds best coffee as an example cause of the Italian immigrants.

Dex-chan lover
Like some things in this series the technology is all over the place, also the social technology is all over the place. This is written by someone who's never been a war/disaster refugee so they cannot (just like me) understand the thought process.

On the other hand lumping all refugees as being unwilling wouldn't make sense as not everyone would say no so I feel the author did well enough by having the ones who want to stay to stay and the others to go. As an Aussie I can attest that people intergration takes time but then it enriches your culture in turn as you get new/different things that transfer over with the newer people. We have the worlds best coffee as an example cause of the Italian immigrants.
Australia is a good example of Multiculturalism working. It took many decades for the country to get where they are now, and they still have their challenges to resolve, but Australian society is all the better for it, with its citizens sharing a common National identity made up of many backgrounds. The typical Aussie is not defined by race or creed, but by attitude. You're not just born Australian; you grow into it.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the chapter!

Its strange seing this part again after watching the anime, but, it wont't take to long for the manga to pick from where the anime left things up

Dex-chan lover
Thinking man's harem manga
gigachad_1024x1024.jpg

MD@Home
This is such utter nonsense. Lumping people of wildly different cultures together in the same city, in fact forcing them to do so, will only ensure that the tensions will remain or even possibly escalate. You can't simply force integration, not to mention assimilation like this.

It's the empire's method that is actually proven to work historically. Give each culture its own land, not too far removed from the rest of the kingdom, but with enough room so they can feel independent. They don't need to start from scratch, actually, you can give them materials or support for the first decade or so. Initially, such a place may feel like a "kingdom within the kingdom", but over time, its inhabitants will develop bonds with their neighbors and will gradually start to integrate into the main society. But again, this is a gradual, slow process that takes generations.

Dex-chan lover
this serie starts to make even more less sense to me...
maybe just the manga skipped too many points compared to wn/ln...

Dex-chan lover
The authors inane pseudo-psychology about refugees and people in general might just be even dumber than when his secret weapon was televised idol shows...

Dude's completely talking out his arse.

Banned
The authors inane pseudo-psychology about refugees and people in general might just be even dumber than when his secret weapon was televised idol shows...

Dude's completely talking out his arse.
Well, unfortunately japanese manga/LN authors (don't wanna place other kind of writers in the same bag) aren't know for being erudites and specially worldly. As much people like to laugh at americans (disclaimer: not american) for not know where random irrelevant (in the world stage) country is, from what I've seen after all these years of reading throughout japanese media, they're pretty much alike. Anyways, this is just entertainment and as someone mentioned before, the LN does go a bit more in depth about this whole situation but not as much so don't get your hopes up.

Dex-chan lover
This is such utter nonsense. Lumping people of wildly different cultures together in the same city, in fact forcing them to do so, will only ensure that the tensions will remain or even possibly escalate. You can't simply force integration, not to mention assimilation like this.

It's the empire's method that is actually proven to work historically. Give each culture its own land, not too far removed from the rest of the kingdom, but with enough room so they can feel independent. They don't need to start from scratch, actually, you can give them materials or support for the first decade or so. Initially, such a place may feel like a "kingdom within the kingdom", but over time, its inhabitants will develop bonds with their neighbors and will gradually start to integrate into the main society. But again, this is a gradual, slow process that takes generations.
No, you forget, MC's kingdom is already a multi-cultural country (and the only one on the continent). Elves, humans, and beastmen gathered in one country. In contrast to other countries whose inhabitants are only humans, only elves, or only beastmen. So, integration wouldn't be that hard.

There is one more reason for integration that is not explained in the manga (but it is in the LN), to avoid conflict due to jealousy from local citizens. Refugees get free housing and food assistance, while local citizens have to work and pay taxes. Small conflicts have started to appear (not told in the manga). Given land to work on like the empire did? MC already explained, it's dangerous. There is a risk, one day, the refugees will claim the land as their land, whereas they feel they are not part of the kingdom. So there is a risk of them separating themselves from the kingdom/rebellion.

MD@Home
No, you forget, MC's kingdom is already a multi-cultural country (and the only one on the continent). Elves, humans, and beastmen gathered in one country. In contrast to other countries whose inhabitants are only humans, only elves, or only beastmen. So, integration wouldn't be that hard.

There is one more reason for integration that is not explained in the manga (but it is in the LN), to avoid conflict due to jealousy from local citizens. Refugees get free housing and food assistance, while local citizens have to work and pay taxes. Small conflicts have started to appear (not told in the manga). Given land to work on like the empire did? MC already explained, it's dangerous. There is a risk, one day, the refugees will claim the land as their land, whereas they feel they are not part of the kingdom. So there is a risk of them separating themselves from the kingdom/rebellion.
Having a multi-cultural country helps, but it's far from enough. Just because people are used to living together with certain others does not mean they are cool with living together with just about any other culture. Also the refugees themselves are 100% not used to such coexistence, period.

Giving the refugees their own land is dangerous only if you leave them to fend for themselves entirely. As I've already mentioned, you don't necessarily have to do that. You can provide them with tools, materials, even some protection for a couple of years until they are able to get by on their own.
And yes, the refugees will certainly have a sense of ownership for the land you give them. That is completely natural, and by itself not necessarily bad. They will not become your loyal subjects overnight, you have to give them some measure of independence. What you have to pay attention, as I wrote above, is that their lands should not be too far from removed from the rest of the (much larger) kingdom, so they will not be isolated and will often trade and interact with others, while also giving you the chance to intervene if something goes south.

I didn't make this up; their are multiple historical precedents of this happening in my country (Hungary), some old, some as recent as the mid-20th century. It works. Souma's ultimatum doesn't.

Dex-chan lover
Well, it seems that the discover of blood types was made by this convenient medi-magical race too.
And this is so much Japanese perception of the refugees and assimilation matter that I'm just speechless.

Dex-chan lover
Remember, the title of this series is "Realist Hero", not "Idealist Hero". That was why MC didn't do what Empress Maria did. Maria is an idealist. She will do anything for "humanity" even if it has the risk of destroying her and her country in the future.

On the other hand, MC as a realist, doesn't want to take that risk. He will take the safest path for his country, even if it looks cruel from humanity pov. He will put his country's national interests and safety above anything else. He's not your typical hero.

Although lately some LN readers have complained because in the last few volumes, MC looks more idealist than realist. For example,
providing health knowledge and technology to a rival country, even though the MC knows that rival country has plans to conquer his country in the future, just because that rival country is hit by an epidemic

Dex-chan lover
Well, unfortunately japanese manga/LN authors (don't wanna place other kind of writers in the same bag) aren't know for being erudites and specially worldly. As much people like to laugh at americans (disclaimer: not american) for not know where random irrelevant (in the world stage) country is, from what I've seen after all these years of reading throughout japanese media, they're pretty much alike. Anyways, this is just entertainment and as someone mentioned before, the LN does go a bit more in depth about this whole situation but not as much so don't get your hopes up.
I would just like to point out alot of Americans don't know what most of their own state capitals are let alone the rest of the world hence the trending videos of things like "What was the dumbest thing an American told you" and the like.

But yes like you I'm not expecting 200 IQ llevel writing for this series, It's passable how it's handled defo could have been worse. I'll have to wait and see the rest of the adaption to claim otherwise but I do feel the some of the cut content hurts the overall narrative though.

Users who are viewing this thread