Genre request: 'otaku life' or something for manga where the focus / starting point is an MC being an otaku

Dex-chan lover
It seems to me like there's quite a large collection of manga that are quite specifically about otaku (of the formula 'the MC is an otaku who [does a thing]', or at times 'the MC has an otaku friend and learns about otakuness from them'). I'd find it nice to have a genre tag for this sort of thing. Personally, it's not my cup of tea and it'd be convenient if I could hide it; but I imagine there are people who enjoy that kind of thing and may want to search for it.

I'm not sure how many potential series this tag would have, and I certainly have no idea how many it would take to qualify for a genre tag, but I'd like to throw the idea out there. Apologies if it's been already rejected.

(There's a further category of 'meta-manga' - manga about people drawing manga (or making anime/games, I suppose) - that might also ought to be subsumed into this tag, or put into a separate tag.)

Dex-chan lover
That's not a genre; that's a theme. It would be better categorized as content.

You're quite right that there's a large share of manga about otaku/mangaka. That's a consequence of two things: first, the principle of write-what-you-know in application by people who know little beyond themselves and their social circles; and, second, the urge of writers to cast themselves as heroes.

There are themes that are so common in manga that it would be almost pointless and not much use to provide tags for them.

Dex-chan lover
That would be like asking for a "tsundere" tag. Kinda useless to create a tag for a character trope imo (looking at you, gyaru).

@SandyBleach Fight fire with fire

I think the whole idea of 'meta-manga' is pretty broad and the term meta really only works when its about the author or authors works, a good example would be the posters of gantz in inuyashiki.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN this will never resolve, i know deep down you and your ego love my recognition of you. I think even i share some of your spicelordiness.

Users who are viewing this thread