Goddess of the G-Spring - Ch. 27

Dex-chan lover
I literally just started watching Ideon a week ago.
The OP is such a banger

Dex-chan lover
Gundam/Mecha outsider here, what's up with Ideon being a bad first watch?

Gundam/Mecha outsider here, what's up with Ideon being a bad first watch?
There's at least a few factors.
  • When it first aired, it was a pretty unique show just for how heavy its air of despair was. I imagine Tomino was probably not in the best place mentally after the original Gundam had its run cut short, so...
  • Figuratively speaking, Tomino as a director has a habit of throwing the audience into the deep end of the pool instead of letting them work their way in from the shallow end. With Ideon, however, the audience is starting from the shallow end for once, but it ends up making the start of the show simple and repetitive. Once the show starts going, it's great, but then the show got its run cut short so it has a rushed ending. Note: I personally love Tomino throwing me into the deep end, but it's not for everyone.
  • You know the "wow, cool robot/war is bad" meme? Ideon is that but on steroids. Using it as a starting point would probably give people trying to get into Mecha an exaggerated view of the genre.

Dex-chan lover
There's at least a few factors.
  • When it first aired, it was a pretty unique show just for how heavy its air of despair was. I imagine Tomino was probably not in the best place mentally after the original Gundam had its run cut short, so...
  • Figuratively speaking, Tomino as a director has a habit of throwing the audience into the deep end of the pool instead of letting them work their way in from the shallow end. With Ideon, however, the audience is starting from the shallow end for once, but it ends up making the start of the show simple and repetitive. Once the show starts going, it's great, but then the show got its run cut short so it has a rushed ending. Note: I personally love Tomino throwing me into the deep end, but it's not for everyone.
  • You know the "wow, cool robot/war is bad" meme? Ideon is that but on steroids. Using it as a starting point would probably give people trying to get into Mecha an exaggerated view of the genre.
I see, thanks for the insight

Dex-chan lover
But Ideon is more or less fine? Probably more suitable than the OG Gundam for the genre introduction. Not something I would recommend to someone who is wavering about the whole idea of giant robots in the first place, but I can see it converting someone into it if they wouldn't drop it.
If she wanted to play a prank on her, she'd give her Brain Powerd. Which is a good show, but a terrible introduction to the mecha.

Users who are viewing this thread