Hajime no Ippo - The First Step - Ch. 1452 - The Grim Reaper's First Move

Dex-chan lover
9 pages into a break next week bro I'm going to have kids by the time this fight is over lmfao

Dex-chan lover
i honestly thought i mis-clicked and skipped a few pages, but no. I wonder if this will end up as a squash match, where readers are expecting a barn burning 5-8 rounder but it ends up being

"SHOCKING! MASHIBA IS TOO STRONG!!?!?!?!? 1ST ROUND KO SHAKES THE WORLD!!!! -break next week-"

Dex-chan lover
9 page into a break.. give us a break maaan xD
As someone said, its been what, 3-400 chapters since ippo retirement? WTF, all fights we seen in meanwhile were previously used as filler in between Ippo fights. Only Takamura would excite me as much as Ippo.
Retirement arc is great idea in retrospect, and how Ippo increased knowledge and widened his view on boxing, but cmon man, its taking too fucking long.
Itagaki was being build up as interesting character back when Ippo was still active, and even he got pushed into background.
Don't give a shit about Kumi bitch, she don't even support Ippo, he should ditch her and go with that classmate of his that he met at reunion.
Takamura going blind is being teased for 20 years. We don't even see the old man almost at all.
Reading this out of habit, wanting closure already, while author just seting up for his return ... Don't he get fucking tired of doing same manga
Ippo retires for a while, training new people he would reinforce the basics (He was obviously lacking those). Seeing how bad Ippo feels about himself for not being able to fight again, Kumi would have a change of heart. With his gf's approval Ippo trains more, learns how to dodge and block instead of taking hits head-on and turns into a really good all around fighter that does not need to rely on moves like Gazelle Punch and Dempsey Roll to win fights.

Thats what I though would happen in the retirament arc... Boy was I wrong.

TECHNICALLY it actually is 9 pages, as one of the pages is a double page spread, meaning it's two pages in one, and therefore 9 pages total
I'm sorry, man. I know you're technically correct, but I have to drop the obligatory:
☝️🤓

Dex-chan lover
Don't give a shit about Kumi bitch, she don't even support Ippo, he should ditch her and go with that classmate of his that he met at reunion.

What chapter was that again? I remember something like that so long ago but I cant remember the face of that classmate.

Dex-chan lover
I think it's good when mangaka take any sort of a break at all!

But I also think that if you're working a slower schedule, and doing smaller chapters on top of that, and facing your own mortality, you have a responsibility as a storyteller to kinda Move Things Along, you know? maybe don't waste so many pages on "here we are in the arena, where we've been for the past few chapters, wow the fans are really loud! anyway the match that was starting last chapter is still starting, so here's the start of the match!"

if you only got 8 pages every other week, make each page COUNT, y'know?

Contributor
People will complain about series not progressing fast enough and how worried they are the author will croak before finishing, then also get mad when the author takes a break lol. Never change, Mangadex comments.

Dex-chan lover
Chapter Summary: Mashiba 1 Jab at Body....

We're goona be here a loooong time.

People will complain about series not progressing fast enough and how worried they are the author will croak before finishing, then also get mad when the author takes a break lol. Never change, Mangadex comments.
  • The series are not progressing fast enough
  • The author is reaching a certain age where it may not be able to continue
  • Takes a break (will take longer to reach its end story) and may or may not keep the extremely slow pacing, and considering other times he took a break it might as well just slow it down more (just like HxH and Beserk)
    Any normal person would react that way too, are you crazy?

IMO, I think Morikawa needs to start training a successor. It's clear he's starting to slow down due to him getting older and having health problems. I mean. for god's sake, this is a FRACTION of how long his chapters have been. He's getting older and needs to start thinking about his own retirement. Perhaps he could write the scripts, meanwhile someone else draws the manga (similar to how Ashita No Joe was handled back in the day) doing art corrections where necessary. It could give him the chance to flesh out characters again, and not throw them to the wayside, while also speeding up the pace where necessary.

IMO, I think Morikawa needs to start training a successor. It's clear he's starting to slow down due to him getting older and having health problems. I mean. for god's sake, this is a FRACTION of how long his chapters have been. He's getting older and needs to start thinking about his own retirement. Perhaps he could write the scripts, meanwhile someone else draws the manga (similar to how Ashita No Joe was handled back in the day) doing art corrections where necessary. It could give him the chance to flesh out characters again, and not throw them to the wayside, while also speeding up the pace where necessary.
If you compare the art styles between the majority of the manga's run and now, it seems to me like someone else is doing most of the drawing already.

Users who are viewing this thread