Half - Ch. 44 - Pairings(2)

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the translation!

doubt it was all due to xingran, there must be another factor into ye cutting ties with her father too

Dex-chan lover
It's probably just the "nature of the beast" when it comes to some Chinese comics, but I cant help finding all the double speak and dancing around certain topics vaguely unsatisfying.

They only have it being very vaguely implied that Mu Ye, Xinran, Xiaoyu or any of the other characters are queer.

They can't just outright say Xinran is Mu Ye's ex, just heavily impy it and that their relationship was the final straw to cause her to completely break with her father.

We cant even directly say that Xiaoyu is catching feelings for Mu Ye, just that Mu Ye is "the only person she is conscious of."

It just feels like if they cant even acknowledge any of that, what hope is there of ever getting out of the "slightly pining for each other but still just cozy roommates who will never acknowledge any romantic feelings" relationship for the two leads?

Fed-Kun's army
It's probably just the "nature of the beast" when it comes to some Chinese comics, but I cant help finding all the double speak and dancing around certain topics vaguely unsatisfying.

They only have it being very vaguely implied that Mu Ye, Xinran, Xiaoyu or any of the other characters are queer.

They can't just outright say Xinran is Mu Ye's ex, just heavily impy it and that their relationship was the final straw to cause her to completely break with her father.

We cant even directly say that Xiaoyu is catching feelings for Mu Ye, just that Mu Ye is "the only person she is conscious of."

It just feels like if they cant even acknowledge any of that, what hope is there of ever getting out of the "slightly pining for each other but still just cozy roommates who will never acknowledge any romantic feelings" relationship for the two leads?
the manhua that the same author/artist pair made following this (A Fruitless Betrothal) explicitly begins with one of the main characters talking about her crush

in later chapters it also features a scene where characters go to a gay bar just to hang out

this isn't a china thing (and it's pretty sinophobic to suggest that), it's just that the story and perspective in Half* are keeping it more subtle for narrative reasons

*(as of this chapter, from what i've been able to see it gets much more genuine about the nature of Xiaoyu & Mu Ye's relationship later on)

Dex-chan lover
If I remember correctly Xinran accepted the money and the scholarship into some famous American music school Mu Ye's father gave her to break up with her. So yeah, Red has reason to be worried than Xinran is here to get more money.

Users who are viewing this thread