Hanamonogatari - Vol. 1 Ch. 5

Dex-chan lover
I am not ready to find out how Yoshiko lost her lover... Thank you for sharing such a wonderful series.
Other than being dead or just being like "actually i'm straight i just wanted to try this out" (tho questioning and exploring is valid), i wouldn't be surprised if she went back and got married b/c there was a mention of an omiai (arranged marriage meeting)

Dex-chan lover
Other than being dead or just being like "actually i'm straight i just wanted to try this out" (tho questioning and exploring is valid), i wouldn't be surprised if she went back and got married b/c there was a mention of an omiai (arranged marriage meeting)
I bet this is what happened. The classic GL works of Nobuko Yoshiya have a rich history of portraying the kind of girlhood infatuation that would be accepted as long as it was "just a phase" and the girls grew up and got married after it passed. Most of the stories have unhappy endings about unrequited love, pining from afar, even suicide etc. It definitely looks like this manga is paying homage to the book and having the love interest in the flashbacks compare their experience to it, but also using it to show that lesbian love doesn't just have to be a fleeting element of youth. Which is also a jumping off point to explore what it means to begin again and start enjoying all the things social expectations robbed you of just because you aged. It's really beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread