Haruka Reset - Vol. 7 Ch. 51 - Until I Drink Ume Liqueur

Dex-chan lover
POLAND MENTIONED
me-when-someone-mentions-poland-v0-27ob9elje5da1.png
:oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo::oooo:

Dex-chan lover
Spirytus Rektyfikowany: if you can still say it, have another shot!

But seriously I want to make limoncello with Setouchi lemons. Would be so good

Group Leader
Rectified spirits might be familiar to North Americans as Everclear, though having had the Spirytus in Poland (my grandparents) I do think that tastes better. Once you get past the burning. Haruka should give up on it, though, because from what we've seen a glass of umeshu made with that would knock her right out.

Fun trivia: you can't really have 100% ethanol. As soon as it gets exposed to air (or anything else with H2O) it starts sucking the humidity out, diluting itself.

Fun trivia 2: you can actually add a fair amount of water to Everclear without raising the level of liquid in the glass. The C2H6O molecules actually take the H2O into their empty space! So as long as it can do that the density increases but not (too much) the volume.

Dex-chan lover
Rectified spirits might be familiar to North Americans as Everclear, though having had the Spirytus in Poland (my grandparents) I do think that tastes better. Once you get past the burning. Haruka should give up on it, though, because from what we've seen a glass of umeshu made with that would knock her right out.

Fun trivia: you can't really have 100% ethanol. As soon as it gets exposed to air (or anything else with H2O) it starts sucking the humidity out, diluting itself.

Fun trivia 2: you can actually add a fair amount of water to Everclear without raising the level of liquid in the glass. The C2H6O molecules actually take the H2O into their empty space! So as long as it can do that the density increases but not (too much) the volume.
Well, Everclear is sligtly weaker than Spirytus, since it's "only" 95% vol alcohol (190 proof for US homies), while Spirytus is 95,6% vol alcohol (192 proof). Everclear is also made from corn with added sugar, while Spirytus is made from purerly from... emm... crops? I mean, they use only potatoes, grains or sugar beets - thous slightly different taste, less "chemical".

About not having 100% ethanol - of course you can have it and make it fairly easy. I mean, you can't make it via simple distillation due to azeotropic composition of ethanol and water, but there are multiple ways to deal with that problem. One way is to carry out so called azeotropic distillation, where you're adding to the mixture substance with higher "affinity" to one of the molecules, that you want to remove - in case of ethanol and water, in old days you'd carry this process with small amount of benzene or toluene, which would mix with water and create azeotrope with lower boiling point than etanol/water mixture, thous removing water out of the system.
Other possibility is to add so called molecular sieves, which are small, porous beads, with pores which size is precisely selected so that only water molecules will have ability to be absorbed.
There is also very situational method, which involves adding sodium to solution - it will first react (well, mostly) with all the water that is available, creating sodium hydroxide and then it'll start reacting with ethanol, making sodium ethoxide. Like I said, it is very situational solution, because what you're left with, is very basic solution of 100% ethanol, sodium hydroxide and sodium ethoxide, which cannot be easily separated. But if you need for your reaction 100% ethanol with basic catalyst, like NaOH or EtONa, then hey - here is one way to make that solution cheaper.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
this is the 2nd series ive read thats had someone making this drink, and its only made me wish i could make it and try even more

Dex-chan lover
Haruka is so pretty and cute.

Thank you for the translation (I don't drink, but ume liqueur looks delicious).

Users who are viewing this thread