Henkyou no Yakushi, Miyako de S Rank Boukensha to naru - Ch. 5 - The Apothecary's Divine Cane

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

Ohh, I was wrong, he just use the staff normally...
(OωO`)...

Dex-chan lover
It feels kind of goofy to have a series talk about "it's not healing magic! It's medicine!!" and then have the MC wave a staff and heal someone in a blast of light.

I skimmed through the previous chapters to make sure, and yes, this is the very first time we've seen this butler in the series. When MC mentioned the perpetrator is someone close to the victim, I thought it would be someone we've seen so far, but this is totally out of left field. Yes, it's understandable to view a servant as someone being 'close' to their employer, especially as an aide or secretary, and yes, the butler being revealed as a perpetrator has been a trope that's been used frequently since the idea was first established, but we know nothing about this guy.

This series isn't even tagged as a comedy to show how 'serious' it is to use such a trope, so this just feels worse than lazy writing to me. I don't even care if they try to do a flashback of this guy's background to better describe his character, the dye is already cast and it's too strong to be overwritten with anything else to make it better.
No, he does show up previously, but only enough for the existence of a butler to be known, he's the aide that shows MC to the mother's room (and is TL'd as "ludac" in that chap, not "rudac") in chap 3. So we don't get any hints as to motive/etc, but we do at least see that he exists as an aide prior to his reveal here. I imagine in the LN or WN or whatever this is adapted from, he has a slightly larger speaking role, but here it seems like he's intentionally kept out of panel / in the background to prevent you from thinking too much about him.

KfWeytK.jpeg

Dex-chan lover
It feels kind of goofy to have a series talk about "it's not healing magic! It's medicine!!" and then have the MC wave a staff and heal someone in a blast of light.

No, he does show up previously, but only enough for the existence of a butler to be known, he's the aide that shows MC to the mother's room (and is TL'd as "ludac" in that chap, not "rudac") in chap 3. So we don't get any hints as to motive/etc, but we do at least see that he exists as an aide prior to his reveal here. I imagine in the LN or WN or whatever this is adapted from, he has a slightly larger speaking role, but here it seems like he's intentionally kept out of panel / in the background to prevent you from thinking too much about him.

KfWeytK.jpeg
Well I did say I skimmed it, meaning I didn't pay enough attention to the details, but damn, they did a good job of making him into such a background character that I wouldn't notice him.

Dex-chan lover
So, started on this one. Not much to catch up on.

The first page promised, "A tale of a never before seen cheat adventure begins!" Sure, it's a never before seen story much like the sequence of a deck of cards. But it's still a deck of cards where all 52 cards are known. There's not much originality to it, and the writing is lazy enough to reflect that.

Verdict: Maybe when I'm bored. Which, to be fair, I usually am if I go to this site.

Fed-Kun's army
What! It was the butler?! But, butlers never commit the crime in murder mysteries.
It certainly doesn't make sense for a butler, but fantasy story authors take short cuts in finding an excuse to make an enemy out of the butler. A butler is positioned close enough to the family to do it.

But the butler for a prominent and respectful ducal family that doesn't mistreat its servants wouldn't do such a thing. As the head of household staff, he has it very good. Everyone in town, especially merchants, would kowtow to him and ingratiate themselves with his family members. His family would find it very profitable to accept jobs or tasks from the city as well since the butler basically determines how much and to which vendors the household money is spent. He also plans events for the ducal family which is a huge thing in itself. He has a lot of power and authority although it is obviously a different power than the political power a duke or duchess possesses.

Users who are viewing this thread