HERO - A Man Who Succeeds the Dying Wishes of AKAGI - Vol. 18 Ch. 142 - Halfway

This is so disappointing, so its like nothing even happened, pretty much same message as in Ten: "its okay to be thirdrate" Everything felt rushed and only about gimmicks or special abilities, but still it was fun - but when he revealed that Da Wan - the final boss.. was just cheating, it all just hits differently, its empty.... theres no build up like even in first Kaiji, and I know its not Fukumotos work, but still.. its just simply gimmicks. If only he didnt end it here... like what even is this chapter, it feels like a spit in the face. Anyway thanks a lot for translating, we all appreciate it.

Thanks for everything. Despite HERO being rushed towards the end, some characters were really fun. I wish Wan got more development instead of being completely ignored for Da Wan.

Thanks for translation bro
This doesn't even feel like an ending tho, I wonder what was the original plan before being forced to rush things. There's no way this is what the author had in mind all this time

Thank you team for your hard work!
Nice progression for Hiro, between him and Urabe, he was the one who truly attempted to improve, Urabe didn't make good use of his second chance and ended up on a level where, just like Yukio (fake Akagi), he would be "good enough" to get by in the underworld, but fall prey to the real monsters.
It would be nicer if Urabe could evolve into a better player (and/or person), even if he loses, and/or Urabe/Fen were strong players even without cheats, but it's already good enough as it is.

Lastly, it's good that Hiro gave himself the chance to live as a third-rate player, because it creates the chance to have first-rate player moments.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for all your efforts, I also feel a bit disappointed that Hiro's story ended this way, but there was some sick mahjong action in the earlier arcs. That's all I could ever want~

first off thank you so much for translating til the end!!!

this was such an odd sequel i would have so much to say about it but ill stay brief.
everyone was out of character, the mahjong was mid (a weird mix of ten and tetsuya? that cannot be satisfying to ten fans since its just a worse version of it?) no part of this story was EARNED no tension was built and it fundamentally spits on the end of ten (what part of this was embracing being third rate? what part of this hiro was even third rate??? and more importantly: where is the players' love for the game!) and still this manga brought me joy. after that maybe-maybe not ishikawa at the start, the whole re-doing of the east-west tournament, the akagi references, the urabe reveal, the chicken cameo even! just constantly lifting shit from ten/akagi to the point it gets almost obscene, the reveal that nishikata is haradas son at the VERY LAST HOUR genuinely surprised me and made me laugh out loud in sheer delight. this manga is like a C-tier lupin movie to me its so bad but eager it wraps around to being kind of endearing.
i have to rate it badly though cause it really just so utterly fails at everything it tries to do from being a sequel to being a mahjong manga to centering hiroyuki or even succeeding akagis dying wishes every part of the premise was flopped. glad i did see it through to the end

and i wouldnt mention this usually but im so baffled this is the first time ive noticed a straight up error in a mahjong manga, chapter 138 page 20 nishikatas hand is drawn wrong? not to say this has never happened in anything else before its just so blatant and easy to notice here it really took me off guard. it only lasts for that one panel at least. really indicative of the kind of manga this was to me- though this may be unfair to point to cause error is human and so on. oh well

Users who are viewing this thread