Heterogeneous Linguistics

Fed-Kun's army
Just think about how many extra layers are going in this story that we don't even notice. All of this is being translated from Japanese and took work from translators to figure out what the best English equivalents are for these Japanese words that are themselves being used to refer to vague ideas from a foreign fantasy language.

Dex-chan lover
@Anonyan I thought the same: the alternative would be reading it in Japanese, to really feel the struggle of the protagonist.

Also, I wonder why the protagonist never ask for explanations. The girl speaks his language and he can understand the lizardmen, more or less: why doesn't he ask, when e doesn't understand something?

Impressive, and imaginative and most importantly Original.
I want to see this as an Anime
Its still Isekai but it leave the cliches behind (at least the overused ones) very entertaining.
I wonder if we ever meet aliens will it be something like this for the early contacts?

@Iwizesol I don't know what exactly the word isekai means, but i think is related to travel in a magical way or being reborn in other worlds, if i'm correct this is in no way an isekai, is just a fantasy manga centered in cultural exange between species.

@Iwizesol As another point out, this is not an isekai series. At no point is the MC transported to another universe, which is the primary plot device of an isekai. The monsters and humans cohabitate the same world but live on different continents, which is why hot air balloon travel was used. This is just an interesting take on your standard fantasy setting.

I know a little bit of linguistics. This is genius, to say the least—the author clearly knows their stuff. Cannot wait to read more!

@uhuh , @magnificentergo

you both probably forgot about this by now , but i was looking to see why i thought that it was an Isekai
and i found it (a misunderstanding on my part ).
the first bubble text (bubble?) "..And came to this place the world of monsters.."
https://mangadex.org/chapter/276164/2

i might have just skimmed past it,
but i guess it sat in my subconscious 🤔

Contributor
I would like to praise this once more for being

A) Extremely interesting and unlike most anything else I've read; even if the premise is quite straightforward in principle, the author's continued execution of it is amazing.

B) Making full use of being a comic, because doing some of this in pure prose just wouldn't cut it; diagrams at the bare minimum would be necessary.

C) So broadly enjoyable to read despite deriving it's main entertainment from the normally obscure pastime of fictional linguistics.

Dex-chan lover
All those non-human species make me really curious about goblins.

As a linguist myself, I was initially skeptical about this manga, but after binging through eighteen chapter in one sitting I'm glad to have been proven very wrong. It's nice to see a manga that is devoted to fleshing out the finer details of how language and culture would plausibly work in a genre where such things are usually just handwaved.

Fed-Kun's army
I get a bit confused as to which lizardfolk is which a lot of the time—I suspect the translators do too from time to time, since male pronouns were used for both lizards in chapter 12—so I did a reread, looking for identifying characteristics. Pages are linked where appropriate (and able to be concluded from a single page).
Kekoo:
[ul][*] Wearing a single string of stones
[*] Sunset-red scales
[*] Younger brother
[*] Bad at building houses and bridges
[*] Tends to break things when he's tired
[/ul]
Kashoo:
[ul][*] Wearing one stone on one side and two on the other
[*] Sea-blue scales
[*] Older sister
[*] Gets angry and yells a lot when she's tired
[*] [/ul]

Aggregator gang
@anoman no, Tolkien was making everything up as he went, the prove is each of his books were reedited numerous times, sometimes even previous books were changed to suit newer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread