Hira yakunin yatte 1500-nen, maou no chikara de daijin ni sa re chaimashita - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - My Parents are Coming to Visit

Group Leader
Sorry, I kinda forgot to redraw and typeset this so the script was just lying there for two months.

😂😂Are they speaking in scottish accent? I didn't understand what they said half of the time and I'm fine with it

Dex-chan lover
I couldn't read the sentences but I could understand them from the energy they give off

Fed-Kun's army
The translator did a good job conveying the dialect. It is true that dialect of a language can at times sounds like another different language despite not being so. You can almost understand it, but not quite.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't get it. What is wrong with the countryside background? Why does she have to be so high guard on it?

Dex-chan lover
@yurirei mostly because they though that countryside person is not cool, or not up to date in fashion, or foods they eat (even though I think traditional food is the best), or slang (in younger generation mind of course), big city youngster have pride after all.

Fed-Kun's army
Ah became scots efter this chapter. Pure interesting wey o' saying hings. 5 cheers fur they wha ken me

Fed-Kun's army
HAHA I knew her parents were going to be country hicks. Even Beelzebub's accent slips out a bit in the original story, so I was expecting it.

BTW... this story wasn't in the light novel was it? I don't recall this as being in the stories about Beezebub's backstory. Makes this a very interesting original story if not!

@yurirei - nothing's "wrong" with it, its just that Beezebub's a Minister for the Demon Kingdom, directly appointed by the Demon King herself, so she's putting on airs all the time. She doesn't figure a cornpone down-home country accent is acceptable for a minister.

Fed-Kun's army
@Yanqui9
This is spin-off light novel, then it got manga adaption as well.

Also, I totally disagree with you. That's so wrong to treat her hometown like that. I mean, if she has to speak in public, obviously, she must speak in common language because the point is to make everyone to understand and you cannot do that if you speak in dialect. But the fact she felt ashamed to let everyone know her origin is a little bit off.

@Nunally
That's where my question should start to kick in. What make countryside folks to think that they ain't good. What make citizens to think about themselves so highly? So far, I can only answer it like this: It's because people believe cities have a lot o' things coming from everywhere so their life must be better. But why they can understand that because of cities are a melting pot, they have zero signature. They/we have nothing to be proud of. Tbh, every time sb says citizens are cool, I feel like they were mocking us...

@Nunally > Even Beelzebub's accent slips out a bit in the original story, so I was expecting it.
When? I think I missed it.

Well, that's over dramatic of mine. But, we got a good MC development and hilarious story. I don't think the writer has ill intent toward anyone but sole purpose, to make a Beelzebub more real human. That should make a story great.

Dex-chan lover
I know it’s in the future, but now I really want Azusa to meet Beelzebub’s parents.

@yurirei It's Tokyo Syndrome talking. Most countryside folk think romantically of living in the capital, and afaik, especially so in Japan. Country folk hiding their accents is common character trope especially for social climber types.

@yurirei have you grown in a countryside? It is VERY COMMON for the countryside folks in asian countries to think that cities are amazing. And yes if you have weird accent you'd probably laughed by ppl.

Users who are viewing this thread