Homemaker - Vol. 1 Ch. 16

does the author really use the r slur? that’s upsetting, i actually liked this story up until now

Aggregator gang
does the author really use the r slur? that’s upsetting, i actually liked this story up until now
@lycily Remember, this isn't written in English, it's a Korean webcomic. Profanity is particularly difficult to translate, and translators often have to take significant liberties with nuance and literal accuracy to produce a line that fits the scene in whatever language you're translating the text into. Taking a look at the original panel in Korean, it looks like this is the case as well:

0WIKCDw.jpg

I assumed that the original insult was "병신" (byeong-shin), which is similar to "idiot/retard" in english, but taking a look at the original panel in native Korean - though it's heavily censored - it appears that the line was "지랄" (ji-ral). This insult doesn't really have an immediate equivalent in everyday English. Something like "rambler" or "verbally incontinent" would probably be the closest definition, but this would read much more mild in force than ji-ral. A word like "Spazz" might hew closer in impact but "Spazz" would imply physical disability that "ji-ral" doesn't in its current form today. My personal choice would be "verbal diarrhea", but that describes an action rather than a person, and properly placing the subject grammatically would make the line less punchy.

Given the same conundrum, Hour of Lunacy chose "retards" which succinctly gets the force of Nari's fury across, even if it may be more ableist than the original Korean might have been. It's a compromise translators are often forced to make.

Users who are viewing this thread