Houtai Gokko - Vol. 1 Ch. 5

Dex-chan lover
University students + chapter 5 confession
Holy shi, this is peak.

Thank you for the translation, I'll be eagerly awaiting the next chapter!

Group Leader
Yo.. this is the first time I've read a shoujo manga where the MC developed and then regressed in 1 chapter, first ch btw (I.e. she started off not aiming for a high tier university -> changed her mind and decided to aim for T university after meeting ML -> heard a small snippet of conversation of ML with some random without context (disregarding everything she knows about him up until that point) -> changes back to a safe university -> 4 years pass just like that.

I like that it's about a story of an FMC aiming for higher education. But seriously, sis. Even after 4 years in university, you STILL can't communicate??? Like did your social skills not develop at all? I feel so much pity for ML cause anytime he says anything worthwhile to her, she cherry picks it and assumes the worst.

Him: you're a really precious friend to me. I chose to become a doctor because of you. You are my savior.

Her: he only sees me as a friend :( I must not inconvenience him. I don't want to hurt him or have him be in more pain because of me! Logically, I should suddenly start avoiding him with no explanation at all. Because there is no way any human would feel hurt by that.

Girl......... I hate FMCs like you. But I like the ML and I like the story.

I get it.. if she wasn't this socially stunted, we would have no story. But still, such cheap and unnecessary angst at the expense of character development.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yo.. this is the first time I've read a shoujo manga where the MC developed and then regressed in 1 chapter, first ch btw (I.e. she started off not aiming for a high tier university -> changed her mind and decided to aim for T university after meeting ML -> heard a small snippet of conversation of ML with some random without context (disregarding everything she knows about him up until that point) -> changes back to a safe university -> 4 years pass just like that.

I like that it's about a story of an FMC aiming for higher education. But seriously, sis. Even after 4 years in university, you STILL can't communicate??? Like did your social skills not develop at all? I feel so much pity for ML cause anytime he says anything worthwhile to her, she cherry picks it and assumes the worst.

Him: you're a really precious friend to me. I chose to become a doctor because of you. You are my savior.

Her: he only sees me as a friend :( I must not inconvenience him. I don't want to hurt him or have him be in more pain because of me! Logically, I should suddenly start avoiding him with no explanation at all. Because there is no way any human would feel hurt by that.

Girl......... I hate FMCs like you. But I like the ML and I like the story.

I get it.. if she wasn't this socially stunted, we would have no story. But still, such cheap and unnecessary angst at the expense of character development.
I feel like it still makes sense. It's not like she has any communication issues with anybody besides the ML, and she's still able to handle herself in the drinking party even though it was a social event that she doesn't usually go to.

The FMC has always been someone who self admittedly "Only takes on challenges with a good chance of success". The catalyst for potential change was the MC in the beginning, but she got hit with a "reality check" when she overheard the MC. It was her first real "failure", and one that she couldn't just run away from or dismiss because of her feelings. As a result, she regressed back to what made her feel safe, which was that limiting mindset. Even though she only overheard the small snippet of MC's conversation without much context, the FMC is someone who never really had any consideration for anything romantic, so even if she's responsible/studious, she wouldn't have a high amount of emotional maturity due to never having to think about those feelings. (Also she's a highschooler, how much emotional maturity can you say most high schoolers have?)

In regard to how she doesn't change after "4 years in university", FMC's limiting mindset is one that leads her to success even if it limits her growth. Thus, without facing any failure, there would be no reason for FMC to act or think differently even if she could have seen more success if she had taken more risks.

Users who are viewing this thread