I Became a Childhood Friend of a Mid-Level Boss - Ch. 32

Dex-chan lover
To explain how this test works and what happened:

This test, like the preliminary test, has a pretty lax minimum pass requirement but opportunities to gain extra credit. This is part of the overall testing procedure to measure how determined you are. If you keep passing with the lowest effort possible, the proctors will not look on you favorably. You are intended to score as high as possible on each step.

The doors are meant to be opened with your mana. The more mana you have, the more doors you can open. Haerang opened the first couple of doors with just pure muscle power and that wasn't supposed to happen. I remember the WN made a big deal out of it. Remember this for Kyunwoo.

In this chapter we also see Haneul's Gift translated as Splitting. The nature of this was revealed very early in the WN (like chapter 1) so it's not a big spoiler to reveal that it is literally Shadow Clone Jutsu. I mean literally. In Haneul's bad ending, she infinitely multiplies enough to destroy all life on the planet before turning on herself. Her massive mana pool allowed her to easily open all 5 gates.

Kyunwoo's comparatively smaller mana pool doesn't. However, he did not cheat to open 5 gates and the detail will probably be revealed next chapter. The gist of it is Evasion Instinct bailed him out and next chapter we'll probably see the proctors complain about cheating but Yena covers for him with some bullshit about cleverly utilizing Light and Dark Mana explosion to blow open the door. She even has them check the gates for malfunctions and they're given the all clear. However, she privately wonders if he was stupid enough to attempt to use Evasion Instinct in some suicidal attempt to force the 5th gate open.

Evasion Instinct should really be called Survival Instinct. Remember that it is capable of controlling his body involuntarily prior to his acquisition of Instinct Control. But with Instinct Control, Kyunwoo is able to ignore its commands to flee and actually force it to ensure his survival through other means. This actually happened with the goblin battle where he acquired Instinct Control. That sudden burst of strength came from him forbidding Evasion Instinct from providing Flee as an option. This forced it to instead grant him hysterical strength and Blue Thunder which is how he made short work of the goblins. However, he pushed too hard with that hysterical strength which is what led to the muscle pains for the next few days. This is how he passes this test once again. Evasion Instinct begged him to run away from the impending Mana Explosion because it could actually kill him. By refusing to run away, he forced Evasion Instinct to once again grant him hysterical strength and that gave him the extra boost needed to force the last gate open.

Cut content this chapter: Haneul and Kyunwoo's banter between her test and his test. Haneul complains about Haerang staring at her super hard during her test and feeling like he was going to devour her. Kyunwoo realized Haerang was just itching to fight a strong opponent and reassures her that he'd devour Haerang in return. Kyunwoo thought he sent across the message as "Only I am allowed to tease you". Haneul interpreted it entirely differently.

Future content:

Min Arin: The OG Mage from the game. Kyunwoo hated using her in the party and raised Haneul to be the perfect Mage that has no weaknesses. The thing about Mages is that they rely heavily on magic so their physical fitness sucks. This is especially true for Arin which becomes a running gag. Kyunwoo told Haneul to do so much physical training all those chapters ago for this very reason. He absolutely hates the idea of a Mage that fires off one big spell and then hides in the rear for the rest of the fight. Like a certain EXPLOSION mage. It is no coincidence that Eunbi forces Arin to cosplay as "a chuuni mage named Megumin" as a penalty game in the future.

Cha Eunsol: She fights using contracted elemental spirits. She is a lazy genius, eats a lot, and is mostly deadpan. Her dream is to reincarnate as a pet pig so she can just eat and sleep all day.

Nam Yuri: A walking Full Metal Alchemist reference. She literally fights by clapping her hands together and transmuting the terrain or transforming her body parts.

This is not going to turn into a harem. Only one of these girls develops a rivalry with Haneul and it's pretty obvious who. Arin and Haneul will be compared against each other for basically the entire story due to their overlapping roles.

Last edited:
Supporter

This test, like the preliminary test, has a pretty lax minimum pass requirement but opportunities to gain extra credit. This is part of the overall testing procedure to measure how determined you are. If you keep passing with the lowest effort possible, the proctors will not look on you favorably. You are intended to score as high as possible on each step.

The doors are meant to be opened with your mana. The more mana you have, the more doors you can open. Haerang opened the first couple of doors with just pure muscle power and that wasn't supposed to happen. I remember the WN made a big deal out of it. Remember this for Kyunwoo.

In this chapter we also see Haneul's Gift translated as Splitting. The nature of this was revealed very early in the WN (like chapter 1) so it's not a big spoiler to reveal that it is literally Shadow Clone Jutsu. I mean literally. In Haneul's bad ending, she infinitely multiplies enough to destroy all life on the planet before turning on herself. Her massive mana pool allowed her to easily open all 5 gates.

Kyunwoo's comparatively smaller mana pool doesn't. However, he did not cheat to open 5 gates and the detail will probably be revealed next chapter. The gist of it is Evasion Instinct bailed him out and next chapter we'll probably see the proctors complain about cheating but Yena covers for him with some bullshit about cleverly utilizing Light and Dark Mana explosion to blow open the door. She even has them check the gates for malfunctions and they're given the all clear. However, she privately wonders if he was stupid enough to attempt to use Evasion Instinct in some suicidal attempt to force the 5th gate open.

Evasion Instinct should really be called Survival Instinct. Remember that it is capable of controlling his body involuntarily prior to his acquisition of Instinct Control. But with Instinct Control, Kyunwoo is able to ignore its commands to flee and actually force it to ensure his survival through other means. This actually happened with the goblin battle where he acquired Instinct Control. That sudden burst of strength came from him forbidding Evasion Instinct from providing Flee as an option. This forced it to instead grant him hysterical strength and Blue Thunder which is how he made short work of the goblins. However, he pushed too hard with that hysterical strength which is what led to the muscle pains for the next few days. This is how he passes this test once again. Evasion Instinct begged him to run away from the impending Mana Explosion because it could actually kill him. By refusing to run away, he forced Evasion Instinct to once again grant him hysterical strength and that gave him the extra boost needed to force the last gate open.

Cut content this chapter: Haneul and Kyunwoo's banter between her test and his test. Haneul complains about Haerang staring at her super hard during her test and feeling like he was going to devour her. Kyunwoo realized Haerang was just itching to fight a strong opponent and reassures her that he'd devour Haerang in return. Kyunwoo thought he sent across the message as "Only I am allowed to tease you". Haneul interpreted it entirely differently.

Future content:

Min Arin: The OG Mage from the game. Kyunwoo hated using her in the party and raised Haneul to be the perfect Mage that has no weaknesses. The thing about Mages is that they rely heavily on magic so their physical fitness sucks. This is especially true for Arin which becomes a running gag. Kyunwoo told Haneul to do so much physical training all those chapters ago for this very reason. He absolutely hates the idea of a Mage that fires off one big spell and then hides in the rear for the rest of the fight. Like a certain EXPLOSION mage. It is no coincidence that Eunbi forces Arin to cosplay as "a chuuni mage named Megumin" as a penalty game in the future.

Cha Eunsol: She fights using contracted elemental spirits. She is a lazy genius, eats a lot, and is mostly deadpan. Her dream is to reincarnate as a pet pig so she can just eat and sleep all day.

Nam Yuri: A walking Full Metal Alchemist reference. She literally fights by clapping her hands together and transmuting the terrain or transforming her body parts.

This is not going to turn into a harem. Only one of these girls develops a rivalry with Haneul and it's pretty obvious who. Arin and Haneul will be compared against each other for basically the entire story due to their overlapping roles.
Appriciate the detailed spoilers. I'm usually not fan of them, but it won't hurt in this series.

I still appreciate the series translation and will continue to read so thanks guys!

I'm a Rom-Com freak honestly, and even in series like this, I'm curious about that rom- aspect. Do you know how progress on this front will be? Who's the so called winner at the end you know... And if our protagonist even get together with one of them or is he not interested? You know what I mean. Thanks in advance :)

Dex-chan lover
If they consider that as cheating, they just dont want him to pass. Its should actually give him bonus points for being able to make do with it instead. Compared to the others who basically only brute force it with they mana talent.

Dex-chan lover
Isn't Bro just lucked out, if he would've gone out before Haneul, there's no way he could've opened the fifth gate. Is it really supposed to counted as his own achivement?

Dex-chan lover
That should count as cheating, right? Pretty much got help from haneul.
It should definitely count as something. He might not have used solely his ability, but maybe he gets extra marks for bravery? Ingenuity?

That said, kind of a pointless risk to take given that he already opened 4 doors when 1 is a pass.

Dex-chan lover
Appriciate the detailed spoilers. I'm usually not fan of them, but it won't hurt in this series.

I still appreciate the series translation and will continue to read so thanks guys!

I'm a Rom-Com freak honestly, and even in series like this, I'm curious about that rom- aspect. Do you know how progress on this front will be? Who's the so called winner at the end you know... And if our protagonist even get together with one of them or is he not interested? You know what I mean. Thanks in advance :)
There is plenty of romance in the WN, but the manhwa seems pretty determined to cut it out. You can check my comments on previous chapters to see how much.

After about 3 arcs, Kyunwoo realizes his feelings for Haneul and the PDA really starts. He doesn't even consider Arin but there's still plenty of comedy moments between the 3 of them. Haneul and Kyunwoo get married midway through and do the do.

Dex-chan lover

Future content:

Idk if you're the person who has been filling in the gaps every chapter, but if you are, thanks a bunch lol

Dex-chan lover
Reminds me of Hunter X Hunter a little, is their cultural significance in the doors?
As I think a similar thing has been done in a few anime / manga? Wasn't their one like this in the original dragon ball?

Thanks for the translation Manga Galaxy

Fed-Kun's army
It's the instructors' fault for designing a test where the students' performances can unintentionally interfere with each other.

I suspect it only came up because Haneul is unusually strong, but still, it's their fault for how the test worked.

Fed-Kun's army
so this one is probably inspired from zoldyck's door from hxh huh

Double-page supporter
Everyone thought the same thing as me bro this is just HxH 💀

He didn't get help, it was actively working against him. He literally said their mana's were clashing and that's the reason he couldn't open the door correctly

Dex-chan lover
He didn't get help, it was actively working against him. He literally said their mana's were clashing and that's the reason he couldn't open the door correctly
Correction, he said he didn't have enough mana to open the door, and contemplating whether his limit is the 4th door. In which afterwards he feel a spark/conflict/clash of mana (whatever you may call it), and then proceed to use it to his advantage (which actually is a dangerous gamble). He succeeded in doing so, and passed the 5th door.

Users who are viewing this thread