I Quit the Hero's Party - Ch. 29

Dex-chan lover
So, we have a villain that uses a completely pointless technique.
Because it's useless on someone weak.
And it's ineffective on someone strong.
How has this villain not changed his strategy a long time ago?
You mean psychologically strong? It is still possible for a strong individual to fall if you know where to attack which is why he is using their memories as it will show them their weakest point but it also brings drawbacks if the individual was able to turn those lowest points of their lives into their strength. That and those who are so bent out of shape that it would be a mistake to use this on them.

There is potential on using it on the weak thou. You can easily make a lot of canon fodder with this technique.

Dex-chan lover
You mean psychologically strong? It is still possible for a strong individual to fall if you know where to attack which is why he is using their memories as it will show them their weakest point but it also brings drawbacks if the individual was able to turn those lowest points of their lives into their strength. That and those who are so bent out of shape that it would be a mistake to use this on them.

There is potential on using it on the weak thou. You can easily make a lot of canon fodder with this technique.
According to the MC, strong people are also mentally strong. Or deranged in some way, which also makes them difficult to hold. Which makes some sense: you can't become inhumanely strong without having an abnormal behavior, which means your psyche is abnormal too. Otherwise, it would be easy to raise the average human strength over that of the demons.

As for using it on the weak, that only has meaning if it can indeed be used of many of them at once. A single one would be pointless. And I don't think this kind of technique is a crowd technique. It feels like it requires personal involvement on each target. I might be wrong about this though.

Dex-chan lover
According to the MC, strong people are also mentally strong. Or deranged in some way, which also makes them difficult to hold. Which makes some sense: you can't become inhumanely strong without having an abnormal behavior, which means your psyche is abnormal too. Otherwise, it would be easy to raise the average human strength over that of the demons.

As for using it on the weak, that only has meaning if it can indeed be used of many of them at once. A single one would be pointless. And I don't think this kind of technique is a crowd technique. It feels like it requires personal involvement on each target. I might be wrong about this though.
The trouble is that not everyone is deranged in the same way. Skebal even corrupted a royal archmage using concealed personality traits, goals, and desires. Mental strength only helps until bones breaks through a weak point.

My interpretation is that derangement may usually give mages stronger core values and intrinsic motivations, but Skebal can brute-force any vulnerabilities, especially extrinsic motivations. A kindly high ranking mage could be easily hacked if they happen to have the sort of Tolkeinesque desire that the Ring of Power would easily seize on.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

It seems Lesty really is more talented than Raniel. It looks like she can shake the illusion off even quicker that the skeleton dude needs to intervene sooner than expected. Good thing she had good foundations from her original mentor (i.e. helped her psyche through the years even if she's under pressure from those old mages in the tower).

Dex-chan lover
Did I hallucinate things? i swore i saw the Jojo characters used for intense moments

Dex-chan lover
Nice to see a new chapter. But yeah, a dream where everything is perfect would be hard for a lot of people to break out of. Seemed such a "simple" dream too, nothing grandiose just...living peacefully with friends and family which is pretty sad really.

I wonder what Raniel/Rania's "true wish" was through and why a dream couldn't fulfill it? Wouldnt the dream also show that wish too?

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what Raniel/Rania's "true wish" was through and why a dream couldn't fulfill it? Wouldnt the dream also show that wish too?
From the discussion in the chapter, it seems like this ability can construct a dream based on the target's memory.
It can't create the image of a future where one fulfills their goals because, by definition, it hasn't occurred so it's not part of the target's memory.
It will trap you with your most idyllic or traumatic memory, but it can't make you feel fulfilled when your goal in life goes beyond what you've already experienced. That might be enough for normal people, but not for those who have grand aspirations.

I have to say, I really like how this story give its secondary characters a chance to shine as well.
Based on the tags and introduction I expected this to be just endlessly masturbatory about how awesome and badass the main character is, but while there certainly has been quite a bit of that, it's nice to see that she isn't the only one who gets to have badass moments or character growth like this.

Dex-chan lover
man it's been too long since I read any of this
but thanks for the translation

Users who are viewing this thread