Ichinichi Gaishutsuroku Hanchou - Vol. 19 Ch. 144 - Happiness Returned

pg.11, people hand out pocket tissues with ads in them. They're useful, I don't mind ads/flyers if I get something for them.

Door to door salesmen are pushy and annoying in Japan. There are stories about the "NHK Guy" semi-forcing themselves into your house to see if you have a TV, and they'll sell you an NHK plan (mandated by law now I believe?). The high density housing in Japan makes their job a lot easier compared to elsewhere in the world.

Fri

Supporter
pg.11, people hand out pocket tissues with ads in them. They're useful, I don't mind ads/flyers if I get something for them.

Door to door salesmen are pushy and annoying in Japan. There are stories about the "NHK Guy" semi-forcing themselves into your house to see if you have a TV, and they'll sell you an NHK plan (mandated by law now I believe?). The high density housing in Japan makes their job a lot easier compared to elsewhere in the world.
I assume it's tv tax. TV and radio is supposed to be taxed in a lot of countries, like UK, Japan, and my own country, but most countries don't bother collecting them anymore. Like, I'm pretty sure technically you're still taxed for owning TV or radio here, but nobody bother to check or collect it. I think it's supposed to pay for government's public broadcast stations (so, NHK and BBC)

Dex-chan lover
I hope this doesn't come off as narcissistic, but among my friends, I have a reputation of being a generous and selfless person... I do a lot of favors and treat people for a lot of things without any compensation. Part of it is financial, like if I'm with friends who make less money than me, and I feel like okay well this amount of money means nothing to me but it could make a difference to them, I have a strong impulse to pick up the tab. Or for a lot of favors I feel like, well, I know personally this won't put me out or take much of my energy, but for them I have no clue, so I might as well just do it. Or stuff like... I have a media server that lets people stream stuff off my computer (DM me for details lol), where I figure it's just the right thing for me to do cause I have access to so much media, and it doesn't take all that much time, but objectively it is adding to my power bill lol.

So really to me it doesn't feel like I'm sacrificing anything, it's just inconsequential, so I might as well. But sometimes if I feel down about something or insecure, I think of these actions in totality, and I get some comfort. Maybe Kimura, who seems to have low self-esteem in general, lived in the labour camp for decades where he's constantly devalued as a human, and made whatever foolish errors to get there in the first place, takes some solace like that too.

I am much better at turning down telemarketers etc tho at least lol

Dex-chan lover
Oh dear, Kimura is just too precious! 🥺🥺🥺🥺 I ship him with Hatsue... They'd make such a delightful happy couple!
I'm very happy the era of door-to-door sales has died out where I'm at, it's not beyond imagination that some people could get violent with salesmen :D we do have to worry about charity scams though, especially nowadays and the ones operated in public, but people tend to unite against those real fast. I used to be unable to say "no" to beggars even though some of them made more than my parents and one time got shuffled by one of them into the corner with "show me how much money you have and I'll let you know how much you can give me". Got rescued by some random hooligans starting beef with them

Fri

Supporter
Oh yeah, an amusing or not quite amusing thing related to tv license that I just remembered. I remember in Japan there's a somewhat a joke political party, Anti-NHK party, which have a single main goal of abolishing TV license tax (despite there is apparently no penalty if you don't pay the tv license tax, literally nobody cares) among other things. I heard from my friend that chuds overseas sometimes quote them to say "japan's politician care for this or that" not realizing that they're a joke party.

Oh yeah, an amusing or not quite amusing thing related to tv license that I just remembered. I remember in Japan there's a somewhat a joke political party, Anti-NHK party, which have a single main goal of abolishing TV license tax (despite there is apparently no penalty if you don't pay the tv license tax, literally nobody cares) among other things. I heard from my friend that chuds overseas sometimes quote them to say "japan's politician care for this or that" not realizing that they're a joke party.
I love me some Japanese-style democracy. Unbroken record of LDP elected in and open-Tokyo Governor elections. So good :3

Users who are viewing this thread