Ichinichi Gaishutsuroku Hanchou - Vol. 19 Ch. 145 - Takoyaki

Dex-chan lover
Takoyaki was created in Osaka in 1935. Wheat flour batter is cooked in a mould pan in a ball shape, with diced octopus, green onion, tempura, ginger. On top, there's a soy sauce+Worcester/tonkatsu garnish along with optional mayonnaise and bonito flakes.

takoyaki-14.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Now I am craving for some Takoyaki. And what Ootsuki said is true. There are levels to Takoyaki. The best ones for me is at the local Japan Fair, then Izakaya, ramen shops, Kura sushi chain restaurants. Worst ones is at a buffet with tiny, near non-existent piece of octopus.

And Miyamoto is just too cute. I sill wonder why his ex-girlfriend dumped him.

Dex-chan lover
Makes me think of the Karaage I had the other day vs. a few weeks ago. First place was weeb'ed out. Volumes of Slam Dunk (Read it. Watch it. It's great.) and figures on the wall, felt like falling into a modern Japan stereotype. Karaage was huge and not fried up well. Black garlic ramen was peak though so I forgave it.

Other place was more subdued and professional and the karaage was smaller and deffo felt like it got a good second fry. Of course place two's karaage came out after all the food which is kinda like bruh its an appetizer figure your shit out.

Dex-chan lover
Very nice food-focused chapter :) I made takoyaki with some friends a while ago, it was actually easier than I expected. Once you get a sense of when to go for the flip, the flip itself is pretty straightforward. It's fun cause you can try adding your own toppings and fillings and such too. Definitely siding with the foreman about the squishy juicy style vs the crispy style.

Dex-chan lover
Part of me wants to see an arc where Miyamoto gets fired and ends up in their group, it could even be a mistake that gets reverted at the end.
After reading this chapter, I’m starting to crave some takoyaki.

Why is this chapter giving me some endgame vibes?
The end arc is going to be something big like this. Maybe a rift in their friendship or Miyamoto/foreman getting in a bad situation

The fact that even the lids were drawn messy with the sauce made the takoyaki look even more delicious
I've always wanted to try making takoyaki myself, I can't tell if it's difficult or not to shape them when I watch videos of it being cooked.
I dunno about you but I love when my food's all messy with sauces all over the lid/wrapping/etc. It's flavortown from here on out.

Dex-chan lover
6 for 420 and 8 for 640? So the price per unit goes up with quantity? Three boxes of 6 is cheaper than two boxes of 8.
McDonalds has this issue with their McNuggets currently. How it was explained to me was that the smallest pack is often the best value, and everything larger than that is like a premium where you pay for convenience.
Here, they want you to buy 2 or more packs of 6 takoyaki. If you don't mind the extra 200yen for the 8 pack then that's fine by them.

So it is like a hushpuppy with octopus inside, and sauces over it?
Interesting comparison. Yeah, I would say the batter is different because you guys use corn, right? This one's savory and the texture inside is more firm in general, but can be juicy. The best ones have consistency in hardness when it comes to the insides and the outside layer. Skin not too burnt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread