Ikenie Touhyou - Vol. 7 Ch. 66

KCS

I still don't know what she's atoning for. The first incident was not her fault. This time around isn't her fault either since the reason it happened was before she was even there. I still don't even know what to think about her relationship with that girl. Does she want to fuck MC or not? What the hell is going on?

At this point, the author has completly giving up on making sense.
Not like he tried hard to begin with.

Group Leader
This series is weird. I want to stick to it so I can see how everything will play out, but everything is kinda off to me.

The art style is too realistic for the characters to have visually distinctive features from each other, so most of the time I can't tell who is who, especially around the girls from the first arc. Names SHOULD suffice, in this case, but there are too many characters involved, and none of them have enough time to be memorable. The author remembers them and makes characters I forgot or don't care about do important stuff to progress the plot, but I couldn't tell a single name that has come out in this story.

Yet, I feel like everything done so far was meant to be a mystery. I feel like we're supposed to be thinking "who could be behind the sacrifical vote", trying to take the MC's place and putting the dots together, like I usually do in Meitantei Conan, but aside from the backstory behind the sacrificial vote, there isn't any clue laid out as to whom the culprit might be. This reveal that most students were behind it together make sense given the happenings so far, but we're not led to any direction regarding the resolution of the mystery.

Think of it like the new Sherlock Holmes series and that stupid case of the boomerang. We're not given any clue as to what could have happened or how the guy died, but Holmes took a glimpse at it and figured the guy's origins, his reason for being there, how he died and even the precise time of death and angle the boomerang he threw hit his head. This is the level of "mystery" behind this series. Contrast this to Conan, where we have the setting established - where, when and under what circumstances the crime took place -, the characters - all the suspects and the victim - with a short introduction to their backstories and relationship with each other, and as the story progresses, we find more and more clues while diving into Conan's mindset regarding everything that's happened so far. We have all the pieces of the puzzle we need to figure out the case ourselves, it's up to us to piece everything together before Conan reveals everything himself. THIS is how a mystery should work. And this is not how this manga works its mysteries.

So, this fails as a mystery and outside of how each victim suffers, the characters are not memorable in the least (even then it's just their dirty that sticks to mind, not the characters themselves). So, this isn't a mystery, neither is it a character study - you need characters to study, and that we don't have. Is it psychological? Well, we see how everyone is an asshole aside from the main character and her dead boyfriend, plus three kids in the second arc, but that's all. This doesn't feel like a psychological thriller either.

This is my problem with this manga - just like the art is too detailed but no character has a distinctive design, everything just feels bland and overlaps with each other creating a far lesser experience than what I believe the author intended to be, so does the narrative, script and execution of the mysteries! It all feels like it should be far greater than it actually ended up being, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about two or three chapters ago if more than a day has passed!

And now THIS!? She wants to take responsibility for something that she wasn't even involved in by resigning from her position as a teacher because her students wanted those involved to do the right thing, all so she can atone for WHAT EXACTLY!? What does she feel guilty for!? We never saw her psyche beyond trying to figure out who was behind Neo Ikenie-kun, this came completely out of left field!

This manga is weird. The art doesn't make sense, the mystery doesn't make sense, the characters don't make sense, and now the only thing that made sense consistently throughout the series isn't making sense! the only thign keeping me reading this is my desire to see how things will play out in the end, but even that doesn't make sense to me anymore!

Power Uploader
@YamiryuuZero - very interesting review, why don't you move it to the main thread for this manga instead of being in a single chapter?

Group Leader
@nevian70gr

Just like 90% of my long posts, I didn't mean for this to get so long... I just wanted to comment on this chapter alone, but it somehow ended up like this.

Dex-chan lover
lol she seems to think her resignation holds weight when in fact it does jackshit. Such a weird plot.

Users who are viewing this thread