Isekai desu ga Mamono Saibai shiteimasu. - Vol. 4 Ch. 17.2 - The Remedy

Fed-Kun's army
What do you expect ? It's in desert and you decide to grow in this place.

Dex-chan lover
silica and clay, no matter how much compost he throws on it, without putting in soil, nothings gonna grow, he would have more luck just making an artificial oasis, they have water magic dont they?

Fed-Kun's army
The chinese are reclaiming parts of the Gobi Desert for agriculture. Is posible, but it takes time. In Chile, in the Atacama Desert coast line, they have mist catchers as a water source and is usefull for agriculture. But a greenhouse would be better in this situation anyway. The soil is an issue, but the water source would be THE issue here.

Dex-chan lover
Depending on the type, deserts can be insanely fertile if properly irrigated

Dex-chan lover
@EtanRed I'm a chilean, born and raised in the capital of the country, who has gone through the Atacama desert, so let me tell you something from a pseudo-native experience... mah boy you have no idea of how GRUELING AND INHUMANE that place can be! Seriously, you'd sooner find a goddamn cactus on the Antarctic than some measure of life on that piece of cruelty given land-form; you can't even find a single dried-up cactus in there! It's like some kind of sadistic god decided to balance all the water we have on the oceans by making that place as arid as a place in our green earth can get; even the terraforming (and I say terraforming because you'd believe you're in some kind of post-apocalyptic landscape once you get there) you speak of only happens in certain places that are not as hot and despairing as the rest of that hell in the second region.

There is, however, a certain anomaly that happens only once every yellow-blue moon on certain specific months where it actually rains in there. And mind you we call it anomaly not because of the fact that it rains... but because when it does, the entire strip of death and dryness becomes a goddamn flower-field filled with colors and love! It's like watching a power-hungry and bloodthirsty dictator suddenly go "Damn, seems like the people don't want me in power; let's just abdicate peacefully and without issue to make sure democracy takes over" (this actually happened in the 80's here, it's how we got rid of our dictator: by popular vote). Needless to say, when it happens the entire country and half the tourists who like our country go apeshit and flocks towards the previously deadly killing field.

So yeah, there is some hope for our MC.

Dex-chan lover
@VladDracul2 That's all very interesting, but I doubt our MC has knowledge or the technology level required to enact these changes. Unless of course we're talking Magic~

Dex-chan lover
This is like that project "Reforesting The Sahara" on youtube. Just like this guy, they were working on the concept that as long as you work hard, anything can grow anywhere. That project's video and channel deleted itself last year probably because dumb investors called it a scam. In reality, there are three reasons why plants grow: water, temperature and nutrition.

As it's a desert, there won't be an easy source of water, and planting plants that require a lot of water like mandragora will kill them immediately. In the desert, the water either seeps deep underground or evaporates, leaving nothing on the surface. You need to first make a barrier that makes it harder for evaporation to steal water from the ground. Then again, the appearance of the ground is also weird. This isn't a land that went through draught, this is a land that has always been a desert, but the appearance of the ground looks like the place just went through a draught.

And then there's the temperature. There are ideal temperature, tolerable temperature, and intolerable temperature. Temperate plants will rarely be able to be planted in the desert unless it has a mutation which allows it to reduce the effect of the heat.

Then there's nutrition, which he tried, but was completely wrong. Compost is not trash in the first place. Trash becomes compost, but it's still not trash when you use them. Composts look no different from normal soil, except with bits of plant matter if the composting process is not 100% complete. And a proper compost smells just like dirt.

This manga used to be fun, back when it was all fluffy monster raising. I'm actually surprised that he's shocked that crops won't grow on the desert.

Contributor
@Aichan let me tell you some details: his power ALLOWS plants to tolerate his imperfect job, but not completely, soooo
they going to raise local plants instead of the one he have

Dex-chan lover
@lenovoaxioo Village Chief will accept Human men keywords here are Human and Man nothing more, nothing less as payment for tilling the fields

Dex-chan lover
@lenovoaxioo Village Chief will accept Human men keywords here are Human and Man nothing more, nothing less as payment for tilling the fields

Fed-Kun's army
@VladDracul2 Compa, yo soy de Arica. Conozco el desierto xD Lo e recorrido bastante por trabajo. Y la verdad, corre más agua de lo que uno cree. No por algo tuvimos tantos problemas con las lluvias altiplanicas. Los atrapanieblas son un invento chileno bastante conocido. Se aprovecha la camanchaca para sacar agua. Se que hasta cultivan lechugas a la altura de Chañaral y así se mantienen varias caletas pesqueras. Y al interior también se da harta camanchaca. Pero si, si se quiere cultivar algo, es mejor hacerlo en valles o en el altiplano. En las pampas mismas no sirve de mucho.
Me gusto la descripción romántica a todo esto. Le da dramatismo a Chile xD

Dex-chan lover
@EtanRed Wena, no me esperaba encontrar a un compatriota tan fácil en este sitio.

Sí conozco a los atrapanieblas, incluso vi un programa de "Conociendo Chile" al respecto, pero a lo que yo me refería no era su existencia del todo, sino que solamente sirven en ciertos sitios donde se puede encontrar algo que aparente humedad en el valle de la muerte criollo. Aunque igual no sabía tanto al respecto; es bueno tener información de primera fuente al respecto y esto me ayudó a aprender más sobre el sitio. Lo que yo sé no es más que la experiencia de un santiaguino que tuvo que cruzar el desierto en sus vacaciones porque a sus padres se les antojó conocer la Portada de Antofagasta, quedando traumado por los kilometros de arena y desesperación.

Y en lo que respecta a la descripción cuática... solo deberías de ver cómo reaccionan las personas cuando les hablamos sobre los terremotos y cómo reaccionamos a ellos con el mismo actuar que cuando esperamos al metro. Los tipos quedan p'al loly después de ello.

He didn't even do a test run and did all that hard wok to plow the land

Fed-Kun's army
@VladDracul2 Bueno, cada gota de dramatismo es bueno para el turismo. Igual no es muy difícil considerando lo bueno de Chile. Los gringos quedan locos xD
Y no soy un hombre del desierto (o al menos no me declaro como uno) pero si e aprendido una cosa o dos del mismo. Y es que si no se ve vida en el, es porque está escondida en otra parte. La chusca suele tapar los restos de seres humanos que por más de 11.000 años han pasado por el desierto, por uno u otro motivo. Pudieron ser cazadores recolectores transitando por la pampa, siguiendo a los guanacos y probando rocas para sus herramientas. O obreros, mineros y salitreros que buscaban fortuna bajo el sol y acampaban bajo las estrellas. Las mismas estrellas que el despoblado nos permite ver con el poder de la ciencia. Y no olvidemos a la naturaleza misma. Los fenómenos de la corriente de Humboldt nos recuerdan una vez cada 7 o 10 años que si bien no corre agua todo el tiempo, cuando corre lo hace con fuerza. La camanchaca es una sombra de frescura que se traga la luz y envuelve a los descuidados. Y los manantiales que a las alturas adornan el paisaje, pero que al llegar al despoblado penetran la tierra y desaparecen de la vista, solo para resurgir como el iris de aquellos ojos que añoran el cielo. Y no olvidemos a los valles, bastiones de agua protegidos por la mano de la naturaleza y del humano con sus pukaras.

Yo también puedo ser dramático XD
Igual te toco Antofagasta. Antofagasta es más feo que pegarle a la abuela xD

Dex-chan lover
@CountryMage @Umetsu
Yeah, he'll have to use the jellyfish... it's so much a surprise ! It's not like the author hinted us with the jellyfish miraculously appearing before the MC, and MC saying that the jellyfish is used as medicine, and by making all the plates they eat with jellyfish in it... What a twist !

Users who are viewing this thread