Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - Ch. 226 - Tried Various Things (2)

Dex-chan lover
ledw.png

Dex-chan lover
Yeeahh I get the same when reading, like was thinking to myself that he could make a katana quite happily providing he has 2 different hardness of steel, the thing that makes them special is the cutting edge is the only hardened part of the blade I thunk 🤔
Yeah, the edge is harder than spring steel blades, while the spine is softer. However, that difference comes from the hardening process at the end of the forging process, rather than having access to different steels. I'm not sure which you meant, so I wanted to clarify.

The different hardness thing was basically just compensation for worse metal....
The main compensation for the worse metal was the folding of the metal. That evens out all impurities so there's no concentration of them that creates a weak spot. This wasn't unique to Japanese smithing, though. Many Vikings smiths folded the metal even more than the Japanese.

The differential hardening has pros and cons compared to spring steel. You get a harder edge that retains its sharpness better, while having a softer spine that prevents the blade from snapping. Instead the blade will bend, which can be fixed. The downside is that the harder edge is more prone to chipping. This was less of a downside in Japan than in Europe, since there was less metal armours and generally less blade on metal contact.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, the edge is harder than spring steel blades, while the spine is softer. However, that difference comes from the hardening process at the end of the forging process, rather than having access to different steels. I'm not sure which you meant, so I wanted to clarify.

The main compensation for the worse metal was the folding of the metal. That evens out all impurities so there's no concentration of them that creates a weak spot. This wasn't unique to Japanese smithing, though. Many Vikings smiths folded the metal even more than the Japanese.

The differential hardening has pros and cons compared to spring steel. You get a harder edge that retains its sharpness better, while having a softer spine that prevents the blade from snapping. Instead the blade will bend, which can be fixed. The downside is that the harder edge is more prone to chipping. This was less of a downside in Japan than in Europe, since there was less metal armours and generally less blade on metal contact.
I think he meant laminating, where you use different steel (harder and softer) to improve the desired qualities of your sword:

That part also wouldn't matter as much if they use better metal.

The different hardness thing was basically just compensation for worse metal....

The Katana's genius is from making up for the flaws in the Japanese metal rather than being special sword... cause let's be real, they were basically sabers (style of sword, not specific sword)....
Your comment made me look into two-handed sabers, which apparently were a thing for Swiss Landsknechte, which is awesome :D

Dex-chan lover
I love it when there are multiple chapters to read. But then there is a death inducing long dry spell after. I really, really dread that part.

Dex-chan lover
i don't think he will ever need farming equipment
I meant it as symbolism. Since Taiju Village is a farm first, having farming equipment as a symbol will fit.

Also since his AFT can't be passed down, ot might be a replacement symbol for future Village Leader.

If not a hoe but a sickle also can be used. While Taiju Village focus on farms, they are not afraid to take a life (for sustenance) either.

Dex-chan lover
That part also wouldn't matter as much if they use better metal.

The Katana's genius is from making up for the flaws in the Japanese metal rather than being special sword... cause let's be real, they were basically sabers (style of sword, not specific sword)....
Folding them was to make up for the poor quality steel, but the shape is from giving it a hard edge and a softer spine, so that it doesn't just shatter when it hits something. So they don't need to fold it, since they don't need to remove or balance out impurities, but they would still need to mix metals, or do the weird tempering, if they want it to be a katana.

Dex-chan lover
but the shape is from giving it a hard edge and a softer spine
I find this interesting, since when forging the blade, it's straight, but it bends in the quenching process. That's why it curves around the centre of the entire length, from the blade tip to the end of the tang. It's also a very slight curve that doesn't affect the properties much, so it's still more similar to a straight blade than to most curved blades.

Users who are viewing this thread