Itoshi no Irene - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Confession

Dex-chan lover
So she is actually divorced, ok that makes things easier

Except that Irene at one point has to enter the story, so i guess things end going horribly wrong, and the boss ends ropping Iwao into ordering a mail wife, which will be Irene

So she is actually divorced, ok that makes things easier

Except that Irene at one point has to enter the story, so i guess things end going horribly wrong, and the boss ends ropping Iwao into ordering a mail wife, which will be Irene
Hold on (Im pretty bad with decorating the japanese names from characters)
Irene, the cover girl wich seems to be philliphino, And the girl wich gifted lwao the gorilla (The younger one, not the old one), are two different gals?

I thought they were the same! Ah for the love of God, you're telling me then that there is going to be NTR goddamed garbage in this series? just as i was placing my bets the author was going to do a heartfelt story balanced with his crude art style for once, No darned escape from the way they do manga then, God!

This seems like its going to be depressing.

And i was willing to believe otherwise, Now, There are different types of sorrow dramas with bittersweetness to it, But apparently this is going to be the author's usual mudfeast (i havent serioslly tried to really read anything else from him, but i did panalled trough just to get the gist of it, Yeah, he likes wacky nonsense)

I'm sorry but I don't think I've ever seen a less visually appealing manga. genuinely probably 80% of the character art in this manga is just gross to look at. reminds me of all those horrible caricature-style political art pieces from the early 20th century
I will tell you what, I can get behind it, if the author is trying a realistic crudeness that offsets bittersweet balance of beauty and ugly in characters, we can see in their face what is rigth and wrong with them
Though, Im afraid he might blow it up on the wacknator with blood and violence all of the puke.

Dex-chan lover
Hold on (Im pretty bad with decorating the japanese names from characters)
Irene, the cover girl wich seems to be philliphino, And the girl wich gifted lwao the gorilla (The younger one, not the old one), are two different gals?

I thought they were the same! Ah for the love of God, you're telling me then that there is going to be NTR goddamed garbage in this series? just as i was placing my bets the author was going to do a heartfelt story balanced with his crude art style for once, No darned escape from the way they do manga then, God!

And i was willing to believe otherwise, Now, There are different types of sorrow dramas with bittersweetness to it, But apparently this is going to be the author's usual mudfeast (i havent serioslly tried to really read anything else from him, but i did panalled trough just to get the gist of it, Yeah, he likes wacky nonsense)

I will tell you what, I can get behind it, if the author is trying a realistic crudeness that offsets bittersweet balance of beauty and ugly in characters, we can see in their face what is rigth and wrong with them
Though, Im afraid he might blow it up on the wacknator with blood and violence all of the puke.

The ugly art is deliberate, as an author whose focus is to show the ugly side of human culture, his characters have to be unappealing, by design, this also works well for cases in which he draws handsome charismatic but evil and corrupt characters, to better exemplify concepts of social deception, by rule of thumb bad guys are uglier than good guys in his stories, but everyone as humans has a degree of ugliness to themselves

If you want a lighthearted story from this author you should go with "Sugar" which by description is a success story about boxing, so things are bound to go on the up and up, the characters are quite eccentric, but overall most of them are good natured so far, that is the one i would recommend for casual heartwarming reading

Scatter is about reforming an incel who forms a hate group with 3 other incels and becomes a mangaka, so that's obviously lots of edge, and who knows if incels can even be reformed, so that one is bound to be weird, and by nature requires ugly art, incels are ugly people, and by that i mean like internally ugly people, they are full of hate, i am not talking about looks, but making them look ugly is fitting

The World is Mine, is an early work about lashing out, only fans of Godzilla (like myself) and edgelords (like myself) would like it, because you are sandwiched as a reader in a 3 way conflict between the awesome Higumadon the incarnation of mother earth punishing humanity (not really it really is just a big bear, migrating to the sea, for reasons, and cities just so happens are on his way), a deranged terrorist and his lackey, and the foolish humans trying to oppose them or a literal force of nature, almost everyone is either a deranged asshole, or a bystander bound to become a casualty, so by design everyone should be ugly, except Higumadom, who is a certified cutie

Kiichi and Kiichi VS is his magnum opus, in which with more grounded arguments the author criticizes the actual land pits and problems of Japanese society, diving head in into the most unsavory aspects of corruption and how it manages to be sustained and enabled, but actually offering an approach to how to handle it within the confines of disbelief that a work of fiction offers, however the case it presents are unfortunately mirrored and founded in reality, as a story dealing with political and social corruption, the people depicted have to be ugly, can't have anyone using look-ism to develop any sympathy here

In either case nothing the author has made has ever alluded to cheap things like NTR, all this means is that Iwao's crush on this woman is gonna fail, for reasons we as of yet don't know, and it can be all Iwao's fault, he himself is not a saint, and if you see his parents his education probably instilled some misguided beliefs, chances are he is a bit of an incel

After that is done with, eventually Irene will enter the scene, a foreign woman that is not shackled to the same Japanese world views as Iwao and everyone around him, now this is may have some romance and comedy elements, and for convenience and marketing it may be advertised as such, but at its core it is a social drama story, it is a social critique about japanese culture and how they approach foreign relationships, the conflict will be between Iwao's overbearing traditionalist conservative stubborn mom, Iwao's own misguided values and beliefs on how to approach women, and Irene's circumstances and and how her own culture will clash with that of this town, and help her survive this whole ordeal

Now ideally, fuck Iwao and his mom, the story should be told from Irene's pov, but the author is a japanese man, so he has to write from what he knows and is closer to himself, but that doesn't means Iwao for being the protagonist, is necessarily a good guy, in fact he is part of the problem, the problem being how he will use his resources to get what he wants out of people in a disadvantageous position (Irene) while his mom hypocritically ignores all his flaws and up presents him as a paragon of virtue

That said, there's a 2018 live action adaptation of this story, which will probably be easier for you to consume, but i remind you, this is a social drama story, he is writing to entertain and to make a point, not to entertain and make people feel cozy, in fact part of the point is the opposite, to unsettle and make people feel awkward and ashamed about how we act or about the things we allow to persist in society, and for that ugly art is perfect

You can read a review about the movie adaptation here

Here's the trailer for the movie, who pretty clearly sets the tone for what things will be

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I like Arai's works because of how naturalistic the characters are. if you think they look ugly you can always go read shounen manga #2974 with 6 identical female characters and no old people because the author can't/won't draw them.

Dex-chan lover
In this chapter, various characters are poked toward one another with sticks in the hope that forced proximity might cause some entertaining and/or instructive form of "human behavior" to occur. What fun.

I'm sorry but I don't think I've ever seen a less visually appealing manga. genuinely probably 80% of the character art in this manga is just gross to look at. reminds me of all those horrible caricature-style political art pieces from the early 20th century
Strange. While most of the characters are ugly, the art is excellent, at times even beautiful. Or so it seems to me...

That said, there's a 2018 live action adaptation of this story, which will probably be easier for you to consume, but i remind you, this is a social drama story, he is writing to entertain and to make a point, not to entertain and make people feel cozy, in fact part of the point is the opposite, to unsettle and make people feel awkward and ashamed about how we act or about the things we allow to persist in society, and for that ugly art is perfect

You can read a review about the movie adaptation here

Here's the trailer for the movie, who pretty clearly sets the tone for what things will be
Thanks. Movie looks kind of great. Have you seen it?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
All the visual pleasure manga and anime usually relies on is out the window here, it's a normal reaction. And given what @beep_repair said, it enhances the uglyness and decadence of the people and situation presented. It's not for everyone and it's honest about it since page one, that's something I appreciate that a lot of fucked up mangas don't do.

You’re not in a position to criticize someone’s art so stfu please and thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread