JK Shousetsuka Ppoi! - Vol. 2 Ch. 24.5

Dex-chan lover
It had some great and likeable characters and pretty funny scenes, with a lot of things that Nabi said being very relatable. The only weird thing was that it seemed a bit unfocused or maybe not completely thought out from the beginning but otherwise I found it very enjoyable and that aspect did get better over time. It also was quite a bit better than many other much more popular SoL series of this kind that I've read tbh. So too bad it had to end so early. Given enough time, I think it would've improved even more.

That afterword though...

Dex-chan lover
The manga wavered between sensible chuckle to near unfunny, relying on plain humour without invention and subversion.
It focused way too much on a single character, leaving the other literature club members without development, causing them to fall into cliche (Croquette girl) while adding even more characters.

In the end, it has the hallmarks of being written by a young, inexperienced author who has the potential for better works down the line. This one work though, doesn't cut it.

@Bookbarker

I totally agree with you, even Nabi-san as the main character doesn't work at all, between her inferiority complex but also her blatant narcissism and surely not desired by the author that makes a character on the verge of being detestable. You don't become a novelist by impulse but by passion and this club had no passion at all (they all makes shitty isekais after all), so all the chapters which develops the works of other girls but Nabi-san are pointless and awkward.
In the end, it's super bad hard to deny it but the author's youth can probably be excused, especially since I really like the new projects he's doing at the moment, so this mistake of the past has surely been to his advantage.

KZO

Dex-chan lover
Even though I wanted Nabi to end with someone, anyone, that afterword was good enough to make up for it.

It's a shame when the most interesting character in terms of personality and character traits, Yuika, is phased out of the main character position and sidelined into the barely relevant side character role. I mean, look at the description for this story, I am not sure if it was the actual summary for the Japanese version or not, but it is certainly unfitting for this story.

At her high school entrance ceremony, Hibino Yuika meets the pretty Hoshizawa Nabi who... looks like a novelist?
This description pretty much sets up Yuika and Nabi as being in a relationship, but we got none of that. It is very jarring.

(Yuika is the most interesting character in terms of personality and character traits, in my opinion. Others might find other characters more interesting than Yuika.)

Users who are viewing this thread