Kabushiki Gaisha Magi Lumiere - Ch. 93 - Restart

Dex-chan lover
🎆🎆🎆:hearts::hearts::hearts::win::wooow::glee::glee::glee:

...:thumbsup: (out of breath now)

Nicely timed reveals on both ends. Wasn't quite expecting a Heroic Sacrifice (TM) move on Midorikawa's part though.

Not sold on Kana-chi's red hair on the new cover. Who's the lady in green on the far right in the splash page?
(also...I see a very minor young lady with champagne? :korone:)

Gu7

Dex-chan lover

Fed-Kun's army
This is getting annoying. The villains are only dangerous because the author keeps reducing the IQ of the heroes. They have these dudes outnumbered three to one, it's absurd that they can't do anything out of fear of hitting Shigemoto. Just run up and tackle them, kick them in the fucking balls or something.

And how braindead was the conversation they were having? "Everything we're doing here is actually perfectly legal, but no we won't call the police and we need a fall-guy in case anyone finds out."

Everything since the time skip reeks of editor meddling. They wanted to change demographics or crank up the stakes and all they've done is ruin it.

Fed-Kun's army
And one final thing for my rant: one of the very first things established about Magilumiere is that they are constantly recording and sending video and data from their suits. If they get out of this facility and then try to pull the "but we don't have any proof" card, I'm dropping this series.

And one final thing for my rant: one of the very first things established about Magilumiere is that they are constantly recording and sending video and data from their suits. If they get out of this facility and then try to pull the "but we don't have any proof" card, I'm dropping this series.
I'm of the same opinion. Magilumiere literally just. Murdering its own momentum and the developing relationship between the characters for this bullshit dropped my rating to a 6 but every new twist has continued to lower it. It is insulting to the author, who clearly had much better ideas, and to the story, which deserved better.

Dex-chan lover
This is getting annoying. The villains are only dangerous because the author keeps reducing the IQ of the heroes. They have these dudes outnumbered three to one, it's absurd that they can't do anything out of fear of hitting Shigemoto. Just run up and tackle them, kick them in the fucking balls or something.

And how braindead was the conversation they were having? "Everything we're doing here is actually perfectly legal, but no we won't call the police and we need a fall-guy in case anyone finds out."

Everything since the time skip reeks of editor meddling. They wanted to change demographics or crank up the stakes and all they've done is ruin it.
Yeah, I did my own version of your rant previous chapter. It does feel really strange, while it wasn't incredibly genius pre-recent test things were plenty fun enough overall. But in these last chapters it feels like it's done this incredibly sudden nose dive into the intelligence pavement. And totally unnecessarily too, there's a lot of "generic" angles that could have been taken on this (like military usage) which nonetheless could have been executed on in interesting ways with this cast. Legitimate shades of gray that'd feel realistic.

Instead it's just... weird. Nonsensical, suddenly everyone is a completely 1D character and the stakes and drama we're supposed to care about falls so flat.

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, I did my own version of your rant previous chapter. It does feel really strange, while it wasn't incredibly genius pre-recent test things were plenty fun enough overall. But in these last chapters it feels like it's done this incredibly sudden nose dive into the intelligence pavement. And totally unnecessarily too, there's a lot of "generic" angles that could have been taken on this (like military usage) which nonetheless could have been executed on in interesting ways with this cast. Legitimate shades of gray that'd feel realistic.

Instead it's just... weird. Nonsensical, suddenly everyone is a completely 1D character and the stakes and drama we're supposed to care about falls so flat.
I'm of the same opinion. Magilumiere literally just. Murdering its own momentum and the developing relationship between the characters for this bullshit dropped my rating to a 6 but every new twist has continued to lower it. It is insulting to the author, who clearly had much better ideas, and to the story, which deserved better.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember something from Bakuman (which I haven't read in over 10 years) about how getting your manga adapted into an anime is a highly political process. The people at Shueisha probably didn't like how the Japanese government was portrayed, and had the author pivot to making the bad guys a splinter cell/death cult. It would also explain the timeskip and the big costume changes, since that would result in more possible merch for the show to sell.

Maybe this arc is just a weird growing pain, and it'll smooth out once we're through.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe this arc is just a weird growing pain, and it'll smooth out once we're through.
We can only hope. I'm also frustrated (cloaked with good cheer, of course) but also optimistic that with the launch of the anime the author will revitalize the series. Especially now that I can't read back chapters for free :meguuusad:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember something from Bakuman (which I haven't read in over 10 years) about how getting your manga adapted into an anime is a highly political process. The people at Shueisha probably didn't like how the Japanese government was portrayed, and had the author pivot to making the bad guys a splinter cell/death cult. It would also explain the timeskip and the big costume changes, since that would result in more possible merch for the show to sell.

Hopefully. That said, I'll register that i'm quickly losing hope; All the major plot threads were abandoned and this new one is... weak. it's extremely weak. It basically reset all of the discussion about corporate alienation and not feeling like you're enough in ultracapitalist society in favor of a conventional thriller plot. And I think we're all in agreement this is just not a good utilization of these characters or those earlier themes.

Kana in Ch 1 is a struggling woman trying to discover her worth in a business environment after decades of emotional and social abuse. Kana in Ch 93 is just a struggling woman trying to discover a great big thriller that is related to her solely due to the specific 'big event' it has levelled against her. It's so much weaker, it's so much worse, and the worst part about it is what this will do to the relationship between Kana and Tsuchiba. Someone else in a similar position to Kana - with similar tragedies, similar pains. And the hell does that have to do with this new generic thriller plot?

I was positive towards the deregulation plot because to some extent it makes sense! But what's the end goal of this new deregulation movement - destroying the world for cash? Consciously destroying the world for cash? It's stupid. It doesn't have a thing to say about alienation or capitalism, even if the first part of the story wasn't doing an astounding job in that regard. And where it's headed Kana and Tsuchiba are going to end up in the same box as every B-list shonen protagonist that got canned after Ch 180: 'determined to fight the enemy'. It's a terrible fuckin end, and it's just as sad it's likely that's where this is going.

Users who are viewing this thread