Kajiya de Hajimeru Isekai Slow Life - Ch. 23

Dex-chan lover
So... didn't he say he doesn't want his weapons used for like things needless killing and wars and stuff? So why is he arming 2 groups that apparently fight (seemingly to the death usually) on sight?? Like it seems like if humans run into demons it's usually "kill on sight" and same for demons to humans, so... won't arming both with God tier weapons probably start a war ?
He's explicitly said he doesn't care whatsoever what they're used for- that's a problem for the wielder and those associated with them. He's basically proven amoral, he just wants to make good swords and for people to not bother him otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
European swords were made to essentially bash the enemy, rather than slice - and this is because European armor was so good.
They were not meant to bash. That's also a myth. Swords have rather poor force transfer (they're balanced towards the hilt, not the business end), especially compared to blunt weapons and polearms. They were made to cut and thrust. But they handled hitting metal armour better than Japanese swords.

You can see the development of the swords getting more and more pointy as armour gets better and more common. But just like with the Japanese, it wasn't their main weapon (with the exception of great swords, which were basically polearms), and not all soldiers did wear full metal armour.

If you wanted to kill a fully armoured knight, you generally used either a polearm or a dagger.

European Sabres and Duelling swords were seen as superior, and given the materials, perhaps were.
Duelling swords were for an entirely different purpose than both Japanese swords, and the Western war swords. Duels were formal and usually with no or little armour. Those swords were also used as civilian self-defence weapons as they were generally lighter than war swords.

It's like a comic showing the VW Beetle as the worlds fastest and greatest car, when it's simply an alright functioning, unique looking car.
It's only the fastest and greatest car if it's numbered 53.

Every steel weapon is tempered with a flexible core and hardened edge.
They're not? Spring steel, which was the most common in Europe at the time, was relatively uniform throughout.

There were actually several techniques.
Cool, didn't know about some of those.

That's what makes japanese sword 'superior', because their technique of making is 'superior'... at least compared to rather simplistic method used elsewhere.
I can see why you're using quotes, since there are still drawbacks to them. The main one is that the edges become very brittle and chip easily. That would've been a much greater problem in Europe where they faced more metal armours.

Also, unless our guy has 'some' idea how the katanas were made, he is going to fail.
He's got cheat skills. Will probably help him out.

Dex-chan lover
I usually find it interesting to see what mangas get right and wrong about things. It's usually easier to point out what they get right, since those things stick out more, and if it comes to interpretation I end to give them the benefit of a doubt. It's all for fun, not to complain, after all.
Oh, its most definitely fun to see an accurate portrayal of something in manga. As it can help to greatly build up the world and make it more learned rather than just slapping magic on everything.

Dex-chan lover
They're not? Spring steel, which was the most common in Europe at the time, was relatively uniform throughout.
I haven't a clue where you got that idea from. Techniques for heat-treated, hardened, composite steels have appeared throughout the world contemporary with katana was what I was trying to convey. Damascus, toledo, bulat, bintie all terms from different cultures for the same concept.

Dex-chan lover
I haven't a clue where you got that idea from.
So where did you get it from? Any I've seen are forged from a folded piece of steel and tempered to a much more even heat than Japanese style blades.

To clarify, by "uniform", I mean it's the same type of steel in the entire blade, unlike the Japanese ones. Even if Damascus steel, for instance, is a high-carbon composite steel with those characteristic wave patterns made up out of different materials, you still have the same pattern in the entire blade. You don't have something else in the core compared to the edge.

Dex-chan lover
EDIT-Himori-Yoshino-Kajiya-de-Hajimeru-ISL-c023-p036.png

ICON-Himori-Yoshino-Kajiya-de-Hajimeru-ISL-c023-p015.png

Dex-chan lover
Ezio is on his way to becoming a lord of war, crafting weapons, one fighter at a time.

Dex-chan lover
Folding is just to even out the impurities in the steel. With pure enough steel, like modern steel, folding is pointless. I think that technically it does improve the durability by changing the shape of the crystalline structure, but that isn't maintained through the hardening process, as heating it up changes the structure back to "default". I'm not sure about that part, though, and I'd have to look it up to confirm/debunk.

The soft/hard method is a bit different, though. Spring steel has a uniform hardening which can flex quite a lot, but if it flexes too much, it snaps. Spring steel also requires a relatively more pure steel to not be too unreliable. I think that's because the tempering process is quite precise, and impurity can change that too much, but I'm not sure.

Differential hardening on the other hand doesn't flex (well, it does flex, but not significantly), but deforms and bends with too much force. However, that can be bent back, so the sword isn't completely destroyed (unlike with LotR shows, you can't reforge a sword without completely redoing the entire process).

You also get a harder edge, which means it will retain a sharp edge longer, but it's more brittle.

You get these advantages and drawbacks regardless of steel purity, since the rely on the hardening and tempering process.
I meant specifically for the magic metal he's using... it doesn't need that kinda method....

Dex-chan lover
My friend, go re-read this chapter, because you apparently missed the entire conversation in the chapter they had about her nickname.
Ah, I did miss that, though my point still technically stands because they say her old name was Thunder Sword and it's changed to Quick Thunder. It would make more sense for them to say that her name changed from Lightning Blade to Quick Lightning.

Dex-chan lover
and once again the authors lack of understanding of making swords is shining brightly, the reason katanas where made the way they where was out of necessity because of their poor quality iron, if he tries to make one the same way with high quality iron then he will ruin it and make a useless wallhanger for mall ninjas, and you dont want a sword to be to hard as it wont flex and will instead bend or snap, which indeed is a problem with katanas, they snap much more easily then western swords, traditionally made katanas using the old ways of iron sand is much more expensive then modern made katana replicas using modern steel, the traditional katanas is much more brittle and is therefore much more prone to snap then modern ones, again, traditional katanas where made that way out of necessity, not because its supperior.

Users who are viewing this thread