Kanda Gokura-chou Shokunin-Banashi - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - The Swordsmith

Dex-chan lover
Damn. I know about the testing swords when I was at Kyoto Studio. They have a little museum that showing how they test the swords on the pics. At that time, I thought it was only one person per cut because that's what the pic show it. But to stack all of them like that. Weeeew, scary time. Oh, also, they also test it at fugitive on death row.

Dex-chan lover
a lot of manga titles already brought up selfish samurai who used peasants to test their swords but it's great to see how the average people react to this kind of incident. theyre obviously sympathetic to the victims (including the swordsmith) but at the same time callous in their comments because even thought they know it's wrong, it's still the acceptable norm of their society
Please read the glossary, we worked hard on this one!
Enjoy!
living up to the name everyday heroes. damn. thank you very much for the research

Dex-chan lover
My read is that the smith chose that kind of steel for multiple messages.

A harder steel cuts better, but needs more maintenance. You won't be able to frivolously use it on civilians. By refining the killing power beyond what's strictly necessary to end one life, you just make it easier for that weapon to kill the wielder whether directly or indirectly. All separate from how breaking the blade from unwise use will get you killed.

Everything about it was made to kill the wielder, but also the wielder's enemy. A Blade That Must Not Be Drawn.

Group Leader
Thank you for your work on the glossary/TNs. I said to myself a few pages in almost word for word the start of your section on female swordsmiths so it was funny when I got to it.

Gorgeous cross-hatching in this manga, I can't believe this is this artist's debut work.

Group Leader
What a beautiful story!
And thank you immensely for your notes at the end. I become a much more cultured person after every release of yours. I really loved the symbolism with 椿. I would have never paid attention to that kanji, nor made the connection myself.

Users who are viewing this thread