Kare to Kanojo no Sentaku - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
A three-way really would be beneficial in this situation. Though that's obviously not gonna happen. Just hope my boy Kazuma doesn't end up alone.

Would kinda suck if Haruka and Aika paired up, leaving him on the sidelines 'cheering them on'.

Dex-chan lover
it's kinda weird that this manga chose to go with a magic sex change thing instead of just making the characters trans, even with the earlier chapters with the cute lesbian couple they just avoided mentioning any actual lgbt topics like it was the plague

but i guess that's how things are still in japan for the most part which is unfortunate

Aggregator gang
Someone introduce Non-binary to these manga artist that explore genderbending genre. There is not a lot of necessity to conform to roles being male or female just to engage in romance, in a society where your sex can change overnight. You can clearly see they already don’t feel either. It’s like, sis.. just like him and be proud your you. I’d be surprised if they did this but I’m hoping it leads towards that by the end. Be some of the first manga to send a different message.

Aggregator gang
it's kinda weird that this manga chose to go with a magic sex change thing instead of just making the characters trans, even with the earlier chapters with the cute lesbian couple they just avoided mentioning any actual lgbt topics like it was the plague

but i guess that's how things are still in japan for the most part which is unfortunate
They literally just won’t directly explore the idea of gender and sexuality as an LGBTQIA+ topic. In a manga about someone who’s gender isn’t their assigned at birth anymore and they like men. Like bro, do people just wanna explore the male best friend that I want to be my girlfriend, but in a way where “it’s not gay”?

Trans people probably wouldn't mind magically transforming into the other gender. So that works better. Not everything has to be political

Dex-chan lover
This was a nice surprise to end my long weekend thanks for the translation 🙏

One thing pretty sure the super hero not being able to get drunk is more likely a reference to Captain America the First Avenger, since I could be wrong but I don't believe Logan states that Wolverine can't get drunk but Captain America wants to but is unable to get drunk after losing Bucky in the First Avenger

Dex-chan lover
A three-way really would be beneficial in this situation. Though that's obviously not gonna happen. Just hope my boy Kazuma doesn't end up alone.

Would kinda suck if Haruka and Aika paired up, leaving him on the sidelines 'cheering them on'.
You mean a triangle?

Dex-chan lover
One thing pretty sure the super hero not being able to get drunk is more likely a reference to Captain America the First Avenger, since I could be wrong but I don't believe Logan states that Wolverine can't get drunk but Captain America wants to but is unable to get drunk after losing Bucky in the First Avenger
Wolverine heals too quick and Captain Americas metabolism keeps him from being drunk.

Group Leader

The plot would have to be totally different. The whole thing is that the people who get the disease didn't want to change, which is big part of the conflict, but trans people WANT to change. But I would argue that the manga DOES hit on a lot of the LGBT topics regardless, for example trying to try to blend in with society regardless of how you feel on the inside, and also the MC was basically ran out of the family..something I'm sure a lot of LGBT people have experienced

Contributor
The plot would have to be totally different. The whole thing is that the people who get the disease didn't want to change, which is big part of the conflict, but trans people WANT to change. But I would argue that the manga DOES hit on a lot of the LGBT topics regardless, for example trying to try to blend in with society regardless of how you feel on the inside, and also the MC was basically ran out of the family..something I'm sure a lot of LGBT people have experienced
Yeah, just because the character doesn’t want to transition, doesn’t mean it can’t have LGBT themes.

I said it before, but it reminds me of how Rod Serling initially wanted to write shows which talked about issues like racism, but network executives wouldn’t budge. So instead he wrote science fiction, using aliens or monsters as a metaphor for contemporary social issues. Hell, science fiction still does it - look at Star Trek.

Point is that while a genderbent character may not be necessarily trans, they can be trans-coded and the author can talk about gender issues in modern-day Japan using that as a springboard.

Dex-chan lover
Hi, I am going to be real with you guys: this manga looks very good but the author is very aware of this and is using it to keep your brain distracted.

Lately a lot of these TS manga have been less fun and more serious about Trans issues.

Take this manga for example, if a diseases existed that turned biological men into biological women, then they would probably not be treated any different from real women. I mean the girl has lady parts and even a period that means that she can get pregnant.

Here is what is dumb about it: this author is trying to convince the audience that in a world of full gender switch, people would still somehow find reasons to discriminate despite the fact that: the victims have no control over the transformation and that the transformation is complete...

Why did I write all that? Well hopefully you can understand my disappoitment when I tell you that the two characters who are the most attracted to each other, don't end up together. It ends in a very vanilla way and it feels like the author wrote the manga more as a lecture or awareness message about trans issues. So if you expect some kind of insightful romance story, this is not it. Save yourself from the anticipation...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter.

in regards to discussion on transgender stuff, it seems like Japan tends to like the "gender bender" genre since it definitely appears a lot more often in manga vs most Western media, but as a society still pretty heavily adheres to strict gender roles. When looking at gender bender or TS stories through a transgender lens, esp a nonbinary one, they can feel pretty regressive and almost frustrating. The concept of gender in a lot of these stories is strictly tied to binary sex and enforced upon these characters by their peers, society, and themselves.

Tho I'd like to see more transgender and nonbinary characters and more nuanced exploration of gender in manga, I at least find some level of comfort and catharsis in GB/TS stories (that aren't pure fetish material lol) since the Ranma ½ days and we're starting to see more of that exploration in TS stories like Zenbu Kimi no Sei. We're also seeing more stories with expressly trans characters like Boys Run the Riot and After School Mate.

Though I do enjoy gender bender stories on their own I'd love to see more really explore the concept of gender vs sex on a societal level. Why not have characters with "TS disease" decide to keep living as their original gender? Why are men who are turned into women suddenly forced to live as women? Or characters who are transgender suddenly have a body that aligns with their gender identity? I'd love to see more stuff like that explored in uniquely fictional GB stories

Users who are viewing this thread