Kemono to Waltz - Vol. 2 Ch. 13 - Hunger

Dex-chan lover
Well that was resolved much faster than I anticipated. And unless our resident hunter gets on the trail quickly her "illness" and the rumor they wanted to elope will probably cover up them going missing. Not a great ending for our cautionary tale couple.

Can't say I've found a way to be sympathetic to the monsters yet. Doesn't help they both seem to get to the girls when they are super young so have that ick to it beyond everything else. But it is somewhat interesting to see them as cats who play with their food a bit. Hopefully since it played out this way with the side couple the outcome with the MCs will be better.

Group Leader
I actually think this manga provides one of the more interesting and subtle analyses of patriarchy in media I've seen in quite some time. Here's my interpretation.

I think basically the hunters and the beasts represent the two sides of patriarchy. The ideal of patriarchy is a strong man protecting weak women from evil men, right? So Kemono Waltz kind of represents that world literally: there actually are beasts out there who will murder young girls unless a hunter protects them. But as we also see, what patriarchy promises women is not freedom but subjugation: inequality as a superior alternative to destruction. Both Meiko and Minami are rebelling against this status quo, Meiko due to her abusive father and Minami due to her family trying to control her life, which is why both are "beast allies." But their common weakness is that they cannot imagine a life outside of being consumed; as such, the best they think they can hope for is to choose who consumes them, a prospect they even eroticize.

What Shirayuki offers, in that sense, is an alternative. As someone with power who is simultaneously herself a victim of the patriarchy (as we can see even from the short snippets we get of her talking with her brother), she's in a unique position of being someone with the power to affect change who lacks an interest in upholding the mutually reinforcing hunter/beast patriarchal status quo. The problem is that, at the beginning of the manga, she seemed without any real goal or desire; she acted the part of the school prince, flirting with girls and defeating beasts, but didn't seem to get any real happiness or meaning out of it. Meiko, I think, appeals to her because she's also someone who exists outside of the "brave male hunter/innocent female damsel" model her society offers her. So the question is whether together they can find some way out of this mess that doesn't involve self-destruction.

Dex-chan lover
I actually think this manga provides one of the more interesting and subtle analyses of patriarchy in media I've seen in quite some time. Here's my interpretation.

I think basically the hunters and the beasts represent the two sides of patriarchy. The ideal of patriarchy is a strong man protecting weak women from evil men, right? So Kemono Waltz kind of represents that world literally: there actually are beasts out there who will murder young girls unless a hunter protects them. But as we also see, what patriarchy promises women is not freedom but subjugation: inequality as a superior alternative to destruction. Both Meiko and Minami are rebelling against this status quo, Meiko due to her abusive father and Minami due to her family trying to control her life, which is why both are "beast allies." But their common weakness is that they cannot imagine a life outside of being consumed; as such, the best they think they can hope for is to choose who consumes them, a prospect they even eroticize.

What Shirayuki offers, in that sense, is an alternative. As someone with power who is simultaneously herself a victim of the patriarchy (as we can see even from the short snippets we get of her talking with her brother), she's in a unique position of being someone with the power to affect change who lacks an interest in upholding the mutually reinforcing hunter/beast patriarchal status quo. The problem is that, at the beginning of the manga, she seemed without any real goal or desire; she acted the part of the school prince, flirting with girls and defeating beasts, but didn't seem to get any real happiness or meaning out of it. Meiko, I think, appeals to her because she's also someone who exists outside of the "brave male hunter/innocent female damsel" model her society offers her. So the question is whether together they can find some way out of this mess that doesn't involve self-destruction.
how the westerners feminist think people give two shits about patriarchy, hard projecting much?

Group Leader
how the westerners feminist think people give two shits about patriarchy, hard projecting much?
Gee I wonder what this lesbian manga about girls romanticizing and eroticizing their abuse by powerful men might be saying about society. Nevermind you're right I guess everything is just random and meaningless instead

Users who are viewing this thread