Kimi ga Shinu Natsu ni - Vol. 3 Ch. 11 - Love Letter in the Shoe Rack

Fed-Kun's army
Well that sucks. Weird place to put a show review, but I was hoping they would do sweet home the justice it deserves.

Group Leader
@assfield
ig this is my way of blowing off some steam since it really pissed me off and it's been 3 days since i last finished the show.

it would have been easier and better if they made a bastard adaptation instead of a sweet home one, imo.

Fed-Kun's army
@Ikuo I think Sweet Home is actually a much easier adaptation. I feel like the world's biggest idiot/asshole saying this in the fucking mangadex comments, but I am a real life professional Hollywood screenwriter (okay, so I only wrote for one show, but who's counting) who just so happens to be reading this manga -- and Sweet Home was one of my top picks for a TV show adaptation. Bastard is a fantastic comic, but it's a much harder sell for a lot of reasons. It has a great hook, but the world is so dark it makes it a bit hard to root for anyone. The comic pulled it off, but it's a delicate line to walk.

Sweet Home is an unbelievably easy adaptation. Us vs them. In-built horror demographic. Basically, it has everything you need to make a show and the obstacles are very external -- meaning that it's easy to explain visually. Bastard is psychological and internal, which is harder to portray. My issue with Sweet Home was always the characters. It really sucks because it sounds like they amplified that problem with the show when an adaptation really should've fixed it. It's not so much that the characters didn't make sense, it's just that the comic didn't do a great job of showing the emotional arcs/throughlines on a consistent basis, especially for characters outside of the MC, though for him too -- something I think a TV show would naturally solve as you're seeing them react in real time. But then again, I'm a live-action guy, not an animation guy, which also explains why I haven't watched the adaptation yet. Anywho, I feel your pain :(

Fed-Kun's army
@Ikuo Also, thanks for the translations! I'm liking this comic, though this issue was a bit of a step back for me. I almost always like killing off characters. Insta-stakes.

Group Leader
@IvanXav
i completely agree that its easier because the concept is basic asf. but ig what made the sweet home manhwa a special read for me was because it shows humans being humans. the author shows what humans would do in those types of situation.

i think the show captured the part of a human's reaction when they fight for survival, and that's just it. the show doesn't do a good job of showing characters having the chemistry that they had in the manhwa. for example, they removed the part where the old man died because of the steroids monster. in the show, it just looked stupid because the old man could have ran away, but he lived either way because the soldier woman, and because that happened, it didn't make hyun cha's will grow. in the manhwa, hyun cha's pov of the old man dying is honestly the one of the best and saddest panels that i saw in the manhwa. because it seemed inevitable and then the old man died and hyun cha's soul made fun of him. but the reason as to why its the best is because it strengthened his will to live and get revenge for those he couldn't save.

i have a fuck ton of saved photos of panels from the sweet home manhwa and most of them show their faces, altering as they realize the horror that is in front of them. you can even see their eyes change. from one panel, they have normal eyes, and then after they saw a monster, there are red lines in the sides of the eyes (i can't describe it but if you see bloodshot eyes, there are red lines on a bloodshot eye, and that's what im getting to.)

also, im not really the tler, so i wont take the credit, but i am grateful seeing those types of comments, because it gives me a motivation of some kind.

Dex-chan lover
So it's a different timeline? Rip bro of the other timeline I guess

Group Leader
RIP Tanigawa of the original timeline where she died I guess
and RIP bro friend in the main timeline. I guess the implication is that these people died in their respective timelines. Maybe ghost bro is having his own adventure.

Dex-chan lover
Don't worry, when Aqua does the stalker part the adaptation gets a lot better.

Oh wait that's Sweet Today

Group Leader
@IvanXav Just my two cents, but it's awesome seeing people from all walks of life enjoying manga (or manhua or manhwa or what have you). I think it's pretty cool to know there's a screenwriter around these here parts (for one show, but still :p).

@Ikuo You do the rest of the work though (which is quite a bit), so most of the props should go to you.

Fed-Kun's army
@sleepyfoxscanlations Thank you for translating it! I like them all. Always something new to read, always something new to learn. I also have read a few of your others series - I'm currently digging Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - so thanks for translating those as well. And I always read your translator notes at the end. Fun and informative. Keep up the good work!

Group Leader
@IvanXav Oh, cool, I'm happy to hear that you read some of the other stuff I work on (and my end pages heh).

Good luck in your screenwriting career, I hear that's a competitive field (understatement). I'll do my best to keep the manga flowing too!

MC killed nishida to prevent the timelines from going haywire

Edit: I didn't know Ina would bee in a manga

Dex-chan lover
He's pretty mentally stable even knowing his original friend did in fact die and that the one in the current world is a different one

Dex-chan lover
@Ikou Agreed with your rant. I watched part of the adaptation over my sister's shoulder and I had no clue it was Sweet Home until she mentioned it cause it had such a different atmosphere/feel compared to the manhwa. Thank you for the translations as always

Users who are viewing this thread