Kimi no Kokoro wo Kanjitai - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - What’s the point if I can’t understand them!!

Dex-chan lover
man this kind of mc sucks. fairly common with teen love comedy ig. i hope he doesnt keep being this way.
He's not that bad lol, imagine being able to see someone's emotions at all times and then suddenly you can't read it, I'm sure you'd also try and look up what that word is

Dex-chan lover
He's not that bad lol, imagine being able to see someone's emotions at all times and then suddenly you can't read it, I'm sure you'd also try and look up what that word is
He might have been made to look better or worse by the way manga time works, but he is going about his search in a stupid way. Instead of digging through an entire kanji dictionary based on the stroke count or radicals, he could look it up significantly faster by actually writing the kanji and using image lookup. He didn't even bother to try looking around for context before diving into the dictionary, ~75% of vocab issues can be resolved using nothing more than context clues.
Either way, he placed way too much focus on figuring out the kanji and then got distracted by another couple fighting instead of paying attention to his own girlfriend. He doesn't even spare a thought for how she might feel that he's getting progressively more frustrated on his phone instead of interacting with her. Even if he can't read every sign, it's better for him to be showing that he enjoys being with her than it is for him to be getting frustrated trying to read into every little thing. Dude relies too much on those kanji, he's gonna be screwed when it comes time to be intimate, if he isn't already after making her think he was getting frustrated with her.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
He might have been made to look better or worse by the way manga time works, but he is going about his search in a stupid way. Instead of digging through an entire kanji dictionary based on the stroke count or radicals, he could look it up significantly faster by actually writing the kanji and using image lookup. He didn't even bother to try looking around for context before diving into the dictionary, ~75% of vocab issues can be resolved using nothing more than context clues.
Honestly, I agree. It'd be much faster to draw it instead of searching by stroke orders, but there might be a reason why he doesn't do it this way. It can be due to the kanji he sees on her face is only for a few seconds (maybe even one, but since it's a static media we won't be able to know), or maybe it's because his memory is hazy (shown by one of the pages where his memory of the kanji 賑 is fuzzy), or maybe the most likeliest of reasons: How much of a pain to draw it, and how inaccurate (oftentimes) those drawing keyboards. I tried to replicate 䯂 but it never wants to register it as an actual kanji, though it might be because it's google keyboard (best T12 keyboard I've ever used), or how bad my drawing is.

And yes, I think the MC relies too much on the kanji.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I agree. It'd be much faster to draw it instead of searching by stroke orders, but there might be a reason why he doesn't do it this way. It can be due to the kanji he sees on her face is only for a few seconds (maybe even one, but since it's a static media we won't be able to know), or maybe it's because his memory is hazy (shown by one of the pages where his memory of the kanji 賑 is fuzzy), or maybe the most likeliest of reasons: How much of a pain to draw it, and how inaccurate (oftentimes) those drawing keyboards. I tried to replicate 䯂 but it never wants to register it as an actual kanji, though it might be because it's google keyboard (best T12 keyboard I've ever used), or how bad my drawing is.

And yes, I think the MC relies too much on the kanji.
I'd never rely on those handwriting keyboards for kanji even if I know the kanji by heart; they use stroke count and stroke order before they attempt to match the shape, most of them won't even recognize 口 if you try to write it with 1, 2, or 4 strokes, and quite a few of them won't recognise it even with 3 strokes unless you wrote them in the correct direction and order.
What you can do instead is jot the kanji down as best you can in a drawing or sketching app (Notes also works) and save it as an image, then feed the image into a reverse image search or an app like Deepl. Those go straight to matching the shape without caring about the stroke count or the order, and give accurate results ~99% of the time.

BTW, part of the reason why he probably couldn't recall the kanji clearly at that point is because he didn't try to note it down, and it wouldn't have helped any that he had been trying to sift through thousands of kanji that weren't what he was looking for. Even someone with an eidetic memory would be having trouble at that point.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
man this kind of mc sucks. fairly common with teen love comedy ig. i hope he doesnt keep being this way.
No he doesn't. He's been given the ability to see kanji on his girlfriend's face that finally let him understand what she's feeling, because her expressions are fairly neutral. In this chapter, he runs into a genuinely funny problem that can only really work well in a language like Japanese: sometimes the kanji are really complicated characters that mean very specific things, and he has no idea what they mean. So, in order to figure out what she's feeling, he starts furiously trying to look them up. He's trying to understand her and respond to her feelings, but was sent into a flurry of searches to figure out what this character that he's never seen before is.

Your issue with him is that he didn't solve this immediately? I'm sorry, but that's, like... dumb. The whole point of this chapter was to introduce a potential wrinkle, have the audience laugh at the relatable attempts to solve it, and then show that by obsessing over these strange kanji that didn't even really hold significance, he was neglecting her. In his attempts to understand her, he neglected to pay attention to anything other than those kanji. If it was easy, the chapter wouldn't be funny nor would there be a chance for character growth.

Double-page supporter
No he doesn't. He's been given the ability to see kanji on his girlfriend's face that finally let him understand what she's feeling, because her expressions are fairly neutral. In this chapter, he runs into a genuinely funny problem that can only really work well in a language like Japanese: sometimes the kanji are really complicated characters that mean very specific things, and he has no idea what they mean. So, in order to figure out what she's feeling, he starts furiously trying to look them up. He's trying to understand her and respond to her feelings, but was sent into a flurry of searches to figure out what this character that he's never seen before is.

Your issue with him is that he didn't solve this immediately? I'm sorry, but that's, like... dumb. The whole point of this chapter was to introduce a potential wrinkle, have the audience laugh at the relatable attempts to solve it, and then show that by obsessing over these strange kanji that didn't even really hold significance, he was neglecting her. In his attempts to understand her, he neglected to pay attention to anything other than those kanji. If it was easy, the chapter wouldn't be funny nor would there be a chance for character growth.
he's bad but his intentions are good. he prioritized trying to learn the kanji through the use of his phone before enjoying his date with his new gf. imagine youre in a first date with someone then you see them locked in to their phone. what would you feel about that? you might as yourself, "why are they on their phone instead of talking with me?". there are other BETTER ways to do this instead of aimlessly looking it up in the web. maybe like since context clues points towards horses, why not initiate a conversation by asking her if she's interested with the horses? see? it's that easy and less boring like what the mc did.

i also dont care if he'd learn the kanji or not. what he did was awful and inconsiderate towards the girl. they're in a date ffs not in guess the kanji bee or some shit.

BUT i know that there are still a lot of room to grow here since we're just 3 chapters in. i am well aware that this is an adolescent love story where theyre still learning the ropes in romance and shit and there are still a lot of room to nurture their relationship. and yeah, it's all about the convenient relatability and comedy behind this instead of inconvenient realism which i 100% understand.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Cute conundrum, my cup of tea. Thanks for starting the project

Users who are viewing this thread