Kimi wa, Nina Janai - Ch. 23 - We could start as friends

Dex-chan lover
I think a lot of the comments here are kind of missing this context/perspective. Aoba is a victim of more than just cheating, his last relationship was beyond unhealthy to the point it traumatized him, it's kind of clear why he isn't able to think about it clearly. Beyond that, it's not like his relationship with Nina is super straightforward either given that she's younger and also happens to be the person behind a Vtuber he liked. It's hard for me to think anything other than that he's got it rough.
Oh screw the idea that she's just younger than him, she's in high school. She's not a 22 year old he met at the office, she's literally in high school. She just turned 18 and was living with him before that. You want to blow up both his life and hers? Start making noise about that. What she's talking about is going to meet her parents and explain to them that they're not engaged anymore, and she opened the whole conversation there with a pretty serious implied threat about how young Nina is and the issues that it could cause.

One of the things about the manga is how much Ao understands, appreciates, and works around this. Nina is often the driving force in the relationship because Ao is deeply aware of how the situation would be perceived and the problems it would cause for her. Blowing off your ex-fiancée's request to talk to her parents about why you're not engaged anymore to go see fireworks with a highschooler you live with is, straight up, not a good look for an adult.

Dex-chan lover
I swear to god if he says no to the fireworks show cuz he has that appointment with his ex on the same day..Idc if u said its the last time, if smth even remotely close to important happened on the same day, id ditch that bitch np.
Real shit, I'd be a fart in the wind

Dex-chan lover
I definitely understand MC's unwillingness to move on but he can't, it's pretty painful feeling but I'm sure he's trying his best to move on and the fact that he stated that "she's nothing more than an ex" gives me hope that he just needs a bit of emotional support for him to get over her manipulate ex

Dex-chan lover
My prediction is that she'll brown-beat Aoba to be back with her with "help" for her parents (which she already put against Aoba in some way) while hanging the threat of him being somewhat involved with Nina over his head like a Damocles' Sword

Fed-Kun's army
I can't help seeing at least three possible dark routes that'd lead to violence from here:

① Nagi-chan could by chance meet Yaotome Mei-kun (Nina's clingy osananajimi) and tell him her version of events and thus make him very mad and cause much personal violence,

② parents of Nagi-chan could blindly love her and thus treat the story of her cheating as a blatant lie that deserves to be punished with much long-term suffering delivered by a hired hand,

③ Nagi-chan (or her parents) may decide that Nina is the dorobou neko (泥棒猫) and hence the only obstacle that prevents Nagi from being instantly re-united with her beloved one.

And then a sudden dark Finale Title Drop would occur — because the main heroine would, in fact, no longer be able to stream as NINA. Ever.

At this point I can only hope that the author does not have any such routes planned ahead despite hints of yandere tendencies.

Last edited:
I can't believe the MC is still in contact with her.

It's like the MC has no emotion called anger or resentment.

Users who are viewing this thread