Kodama Maria Bungaku Shuusei - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - Armour Modelling

@Ulysseswho1 the TL;DR is because his eyesight is super bad and he doesn't have glasses(or some nonsense) he initially saw her as someone else with long silver hair and stuff like that, and thats how she appears to us. But this shows that he knows what she looks like, but for whatever reason he doesn't say that he knows. Maybe becuase he likes the relationship now, or he's scared of losing it. Or something.

Contributor
I’m confused as to who’s perspective we’re viewing the story from now. I guess we’re seeing her how we want to see her? Or maybe how she thinks he sees her?

Double-page supporter
@Luke_chase That picture at the end is what she actually looks like, and how she usually looks(long blonde hair) is how he sees her. I don’t really understand your question, so I have no idea if that answers your question. Though the picture at the end shows what she actually looks like, he could still be seeing her in the picture with long, blonde hair like usual.

Double-page supporter
Ahh.

With the topic of the chapter, I was hoping that we'd get to see what Kodama-san really looked like, but I wasn't all that optimistic that the mangaka would actually do it.

So now the question becomes - what does Fueda-kun really see? As they note, photographs don't lie, and that's what Kodama-san is afraid of. But Fueda-kun doesn't seem disconcerted by the photo. So what does he actually see? Does he really, literally, see his image of Kodama-san, even when he looks at the photo? Or does he see her as she really is, and just sort of overlay his idealized image of her?

And for that matter, does it make a difference?

Love this manga.

I'd say kodama believes that's how he sees her, or how he initially did, or does now regardless of his knowledge (maybe her soul?).

I'd say he also knows what she actually looks like, and so the current perspective we see of her is one of the above three.

Double-page supporter
It struck me, thinking about this, that it's potentially significant that we continue to see the idealized version of Kodama-san whether Fueda-kun is actually there or not, and that the only time we've seen what she really looks like is when he's looking at that photo.

Maybe it's not all in his head, but in hers.

Users who are viewing this thread