Kodoku no Gourmet

Dex-chan lover
Works great with some City Pop in background

This is really, really great! It's a very relaxing manga that feels very much grounded and "real." The premise is simple: Gorou Inogashira travels and takes a meal, and that's really all there is to it. But don't be fooled, the way each chapter is written and illustrated gives a very strong sense of atmosphere that I can't completely put to words. It's almost addicting watching this man go about his daily life, reminisce about certain things, and at the same time show us the food and local culture of Japan. Give this a try! 9/10

Contributor
Two chapters in, and a lot of this feels weirdly reminiscent of my own eating experiences as a transfer student in Japan...

Not as much the cultural notes on the shops' clientèle and such, mind. Just a lot of weird little things. Is it coincidental? Or is the the author just that good at capturing the essence of the experience of being a loner wandering around eating random food in Tokyo? Hm...

A satisfying read. Like drinking the chicken broth from your ramen on a autumn evening. pshuuu/10

Never have I seen so accurately captured the specific sensation of getting hungrier and hungrier as you look for a good restaurant for lunch, only to have the misfortune of ordering something mediocre when you get there. I feel so seen.

Was mentioned in Araki's manga in theory and practice, and have fallen in love with this series because of it

Supporter
Definitely my prefered one from Taniguchi and one of my all time favorites. I get hungry only by reading two or three chapters of it. And all the small details it shows of the specific aspects of the Japanese culture are great.

Dex-chan lover
Now we know what Master Leading does in Japan. 🍜🍜🍜
Thanks for the translation!!!

Users who are viewing this thread