Konjiki no Word Master - Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - A Sudden Encounter, Part 1

Fed-Kun's army
I like how his katana hasn't straight up snapped from that. It's not made from some magic metal, its only steel.

Dex-chan lover
Hiiro is fucking unlikable. How can someone be THIS arrogant and not be a villain? Look at him, he just shits on everyone he comes across. He LITERALLY just tried to rob this old man and little girl. "Give me the fish or else."

He's a bandit, there's nothing sincere or cool about this. "I guess I'll just let you and the little girl die if I don't get some fish." When is he going to be humbled? At this rate I'm only going to be reading this manga to see someone beat his face in until he learns some basic human decency. How can he sleep at night treating everyone so poorly? The only reason everyone doesn't hate him so far is because the writer wants him to seem 'cool and refined and uncaring', so the only people who get annoyed are like bugs compared to him, and everyone else thinks he's the tits.

Aggravating beyond belief. This isn't the kind of MC I want.

Double-page supporter
page 27
Spy: [heavy breathing] My god... Its perfect *hon hon hon*
(chain stab)

Dex-chan lover
@Kayriel Do you want every single manga MC to be cut from the same cardboard, using the same template? He's a rare example of a true neutral MC, a little on the chaotic neutral side, so far staying consistent. He doesn't want help from others and he doesn't want to help others. He walked out of the king's castle with no info and no money, no local clothes or weapons. He received absolutely nothing for free. He earned everything through his own work, relying only on himself. In other words, he doesn't expect anything from others and isn't going to allow them to expect anything from him either. That's why appearing unfriendly is better for both sides: Nobody with any sense would try to rely on a person who's so rude from the first meeting.

Dex-chan lover
That's not about being cut from the same cloth and that's not True Neutral. That's edgy as all hell and childish. Also, threatening people to hand over their things is in NO way 'just being rude'. That's the kind of thing you start a fight for survival over. It's the first thing out of any bandit's mouth who isn't ambushing you. "Hand it over or die."

Not a, "Do you have enough to share?" "Can I pay you for that?" It's "Give it to me or I'll kill you." If you find that in any way reasonable, sensible, charming, or praiseworthy, please do not respond.

@Give me your fish or else..." He... never said that... I'm surprised you're angry at him when you apparently want things to be resolved with paying, and that's what they did. Also, he's being "Chaotic Neutral", that means he thinks of himself, and if it doesn't concern him, he won't go for doing good, or will he go for doing bad. He does what he wants, without caring about "good and evil" concepts. So Kaarme was right, he's being chaotic neutral. He didn't threaten them of giving him his food or dying, he said he wouldn't help for free, and they could pay him in food, which is quite different. The dangerous situation didn't arise because of him either, so it isn't evil from him to not have helped.
Good : Going to their rescue and helping them with no expectations.
Neutral : Helping in exchange for a reward or not getting involved.
Evil : Making use of their time of weakness to steal or kill them.

Plus, this is a medieval fantasy kind of world, I wouldn't get to involved and be on my guards if I were thrown into this kind of environment.

Aggregator gang
@Kayriel
I can't call him "cool and refined and uncaring" if he insults others but threatens them by "turning them into rust on his katana"
If he's really uncaring, then he shouldn't care about stuff like that, but he's like a little kid in that aspect

Dex-chan lover
@UzunBoyluCuce

I could also just say edgy but I was trying to be diplomatic. He's clearly trying to give off the vibe that he cares about nothing. He goes out of his way to be a dickhead, and even when he does help out he acts like everyone was a bother to his glorious, unrestrained self. This boy has anti-charisma, yet because he's the main character, inevitably he is the most important existence in the world and he'll have a host of allies who love him.

Aggravating. I'd like a more realistic MC. He can be taciturn. He can be gruff. He can be a bit of a loner. But this active asshattery bullshit is getting on my nerves, y'know?

Aggregator gang
@Kayriel
Yeah, I'm just trying to say that the author didn't make him a cool guy, he doesn't act uncaring he's just a bastard.

Dex-chan lover
@Ghizghuth "he didn't threat them" Well, he did say "give me half, I won't compromise any further" (what did you think was going to happen if the beasts didn't show up? would he walk away just like that?) and was replied with a good "You're not in a position to say that" in other words, the MC is being specially arrogant and imbecile in this situation, he knew that food wasn't his in the first place ... After all, grilled fish doesn't grown naturally in the river, he was going to steal it and after getting caught he still demanded to give it to him, how's that neutral? is like he HATES the very concept of helping people if not for his own benefit...

To be honest, he strike me as selfish and centered from the start but it was fine to some degree... After all, all he said was right, until now when he was simple an asshole.

"Hey old man do this"
-Okay I will do it!
"Hmpf you're so full of yourself"

what the fuck? how does this make any sense?

And if we add the point of @Toriichii about extending his sword but somehow it becomes unbreakable and somehow the MC is able to move it around freely despite it's weight... Then we reach a point of saying "Should I continue reading this?" because one thing is being cunning and having a cheat skill, something completely different is the whole universe and the laws of physics working and breaking in order to put the MC always on top of any situation... Like this couple suddenly being pushed in a life or death situation.

You might say "He is not bad, he just wanted to take their food" all you want but to me he is an asshole at the very least now.

@Serenata Got me there. I do think that the interaction with the fish was neutral, but yes, he has quite a shitty attitude with people, even if that part is put apart. For the bullshit of his "word magic" having the upsides without he downsides, I saw it coming since the story clearly isn't trying to be realistic or what, it's basically just "The MC is overpowered and goes around while trying his best to be asshole-ich to people, yet still goes on an adventure with them".
So to conclude, he isn't evil, just... an asshole. That still fits the "neutral" thingy :D But yeah, I can see how you'd be dejected. I quit it far later in the story because no matter how anti-social he is, everyone everywhere still flocks to him. I can't seem to find a story about an overpowered MC that DOESN'T stay in the same town or with a group of people flocking him all the time...

Page 4, panel 3: LMAO the artist was just looking for an excuse to draw this character with an ahegao face!

Aggregator gang
@Kaarme He's not neutral. He tried to steal the fish and said he would take half after the guy said no. Even if he was true neutral, it's a rare character type because it's contingent on them having an actual mental disorder. Nobody who experiences empathy is true neutral. It also makes for incredibly uninteresting interactions, which is why the author feels the need to have him insult people for no reason, which no true neutral character would do.

@momunism your right he isn't true neutral, if you were going to classify him in those terms he is chaotic neutral leaning towards chaotic evil, my reasoning for that is the first town it's give me money or some kind of remuneration for helping them and then comes off as a selfish arse with gimmie gimmie gimmie the fish as I deserve it. Rules for me but not for thee, at this point it doesn't make it for interesting interactions he just comes off as a selfishdick it also doesn't make like the MC either, regardless of his later actions.

Users who are viewing this thread