Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible

@Darklight99 Well, you can't expect the world to constantly subvert tropes. Tropes are a thing because they work. Might get boring after a while, but subverting tropes for the sake of subverting it without putting much thought does not bring any great results at all, if ever.

Dex-chan lover
@TJ_Frozen_Shades No need to subvert tropes or deconstruct anything, but at least have something unique or different, this manga is so ridiculously generic that it's hard to believe that a computer didn't write this.

Dex-chan lover
So fucking wholesome dude, god damn i wanna kill myself and generic romcoms are the handsome chad mc with a tsundere fmc, i dont know what you guys down there are talking about but this shit is the furthest thing from a generic romcom dude @Darklight99

Dex-chan lover
Can't wait to see his dad I wonder how exactly the same they are

@Haydrion101 'Low draw distance pop in' is the funniest and most accurate description of Junta I've seen someone use so far. That's made my day. Thank you x)

@Darklight99 fair point. guess I gotta read it myself to judge it. I don't have much experience reading romance manga though so I might just still enjoy this, generic as it may be.

Dex-chan lover
@TJ_Frozen_Shades It's not like I'm looking for a fight, but when I see something as generic as this having a rating of nearly 9/10, it annoys me. It's a perfectly alright 6/10 or 7/10 on a good day, but how the fuck do people rate it 10/10 is beyond me.

@Darklight99 please bless us with what a 9/10 or 10/10 romcom should be? Throw us some titles that we may see the light. Honto ni onegai ishimasu

@Darklight99
Pretty sure if all thile isekai trash can keep cruising at like 7 or 8 this one is fine at 9.

Having read a crapton of romances and romcoms I appreciate something that isn't just absurd in every way. Like his whole presence thing is the one unrealistic thing that's being made fun of all the time.

It's actually quite similar to
Sukinako ga Megane wo Wasureta
Where they throw a completely weird and nonsensical premise at a bunch of very likable characters and a good art style, so the result is a very comfy easy to digest story. For what these two are trying to do, they do it perfectly, hence the high ratings.

You don't need to reinvent the apple all the time (at least not for slice of life romcoms) so being generic (maybe formulaic is a better word though) isn't really a bad thing. Slice of life manga only need one thing to be good and that's having good, likable characters.

@leconv
If you're genuinely looking for something, Bonnouji and Utakata Dialog are two great ones. He'll almost certainly mention something like Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia.

Dex-chan lover
@leconv Bonnouji, Kaguya, Our Precious Conversations, Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu, Pseudo Harem, The two gets by tomorrow, Ase to Sekken, Dumb Prefect, Skip to Loafer, Mobuko no Koi, Sono Bisque Doll, Yankee Kun to Hakujou Gaaru, Horimiya, Misoshiru de Kanpai.

I could go on and list 100s which are all miles ahead of this garbage.

@Lorska Whataboutism isn't an argument.

Group Leader
@Darklight99 I'll grant you that the premise isn't very original (particularly with "Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san!" and "Yancha gyaru no Anjou-san" having the same "beautiful girl keeps teasing bland boy" premise) but what makes this for me deserving if its high score is its execution.

See, I've taken to judging the romances I read by this simple criterion: Am I shipping the main couple as much for the girl's sake as for the guy's? In other words, am I cheering for the couple regardless of which POV I look at it from? And if I were to mention which romance does this the best, my first example will always be this manga right here. Even if I wasn't maniacally shipping Junta×Nagisa for Junta's sake, I'd be shipping them for Nagisa's. That alone is enough for me to deem the 9/10 absolutely justified.

BTW, out of the 3 I mentioned, Nagatoro-san is also good at it, though not as good as Kubo-san. And for Anjou-san... I dunno, from the FMC's side, I just can't cheer for the shipping the same way I cheer for it from the MMC's side.

(Edited to add: Thanks for the recommendations.)

bruh just read if u don't enjoy it read something else. ratings doesn't matter unless u really care about reading something with a high rating so u can look cool on the internet

@Darklight99
???
In case you didn't get it, the first part was to show how meaningless these ratings are.

I guess you stopped reading at that point or ignored the rest, so please stop mentioning me if you have nothing to say. Thanks.

Good list btw. Though I wonder how you can like some of those you mentioned and despise this one.

Dex-chan lover
@Lorska I did read what you said, I wanted you to know that every reply starting with "But what about?" automatically becomes meaningless ven if what follows is a good point. Now regarding your statement, I agree that simple stories are very good, I agree, but the thing is that this manga is stretching that to it's limit with its "simpleless", and secondly this manga's premise of, "boy who is so much like a mob character that people genuinely can't see him", is an extremely dumb premise which makes everything worse. If it had been a simple laid back story, like Sukinako ga Megane, that would be much better, yet it has the dumbest premise I can think of, "Mobuko no Koi" is also a story of a mob character's love story, only difference being that it's actually really well written.
@Random_Passer-by You're welcome about the recommendations, and you're free to like whatever you want to, just as I am free to dislike whatever I want to. Maybe it's precisely because I've read 1000s of rom-coms that this one is annoying to me, while those who haven't like this. But out of everything, I feel like if someone asks me something special about a manga I recommend, I can easily list them, this manga has NOTHING going for it, at least for me.

@Darklight99
Now you got me even more confused. Did I use "what about" anywhere?
Did you mistake me for someone else?

Anyway the whole "x deserves a better/worse rating" is a pointless argument either way. The ratings won't suddenly change and people only weigh their own opinion against others there so eh. Unfortunately "I don't like it because xyz" often turns into "this is bad because xyz" and then arguments creep up.
E.g. I was bored to death by the prefect manga but I enjoy this one.

Users who are viewing this thread