Kukkoro-chan and the Shota Prince - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - The Ordeal

Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't call it "translation purism" to be opposed to heavy reliance on machine translation (though, if you're anything like me, you probably know just enough Japanese to know when a machine translation is way off base).

At any rate, literally nobody else bothered translating this manga-- if anybody has a problem with your translation, they're free to produce a superior one.

Thanks for undertaking this.

Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't call it "translation purism" to be opposed to heavy reliance on machine translation (though, if you're anything like me, you probably know just enough Japanese to know when a machine translation is way off base).

At any rate, literally nobody else bothered translating this manga-- if anybody has a problem with your translation, they're free to produce a superior one.

Thanks for undertaking this.
I have absolutely no Japanese under my belt (unless you count "うわああああ"), but I've got enough cultural context that I felt I could take a stab at something small like this. Anything more complex is off the table, though.

If someone dislikes my translation enough to make a superior one, I'll consider that a rousing success. My (joking) fear was more of the purists who want word-for-word translations even when it sacrifices readability for no information gain.

For example (and you can stop reading here if you want because I'm just wall-of-texting now) MTL told me Agnes's literal line was something more to the effect "Are you the one who will become the ruler of a country in the future?".
But no one talks like that in English (or if they do, I've never met them). When posing a rhetorical like that, one will typically use the negative form: "Are you not {property X that you obviously are}?". Posing it in the positive form would imply a genuine question or severe, possibly hateful mockery.
Since I have enough context to know Agnes would be formal and polite here, I opted against a strict literal translation for one that better captured the spirit of her remark – a rebuke meant to galvanize rather than a jeer meant to demoralize.
If I completely botch something (such as a translation from "crown princess" to "anti-aircraft security" I saw once upon a time), I kinda hope people will lemme know. Translator-chan in the credits is more worried about people who would see the positive/negative rhetoric switch and set out to dox her so they can mail her a pipe bomb.

TL;DR: None of what I've written above is important, go read more mangoes.

Users who are viewing this thread