Kusunoki-san wa Koukou Debut ni Shippai shite Iru - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Group Leader
I had some hopes when I put it in my to-read pile, but this looks like predictable trash.

• loser MMC is a loser only because he lacks confidence, which manifests in ridiculous ways
  • gorgeous FMC is shy and also lacks confidence in spite of the way everyone now fawns all over her
  • former tormentor shows up and will likely be interested in the MMC while potentially not even remembering him when he reveals his identity, setting her up as a shallow easy rival for main girl because complex characters are too much trouble for these stories
  • the two leads will be dense idiots as "friends" and push to the point of basically being in a relationship that everyone can see, but they won't becuase "no no no I can't be in a relationship because who would like someone like me?" and all that even though the solid basis of their friendship-to-not-relationship is the fact that each is the only person the other can be their usual self around is drowned out by the constant social pressure that their usual, real self is an unlikable loser who doesn't deserve happiness unless they follow the crowd.
  • while the story ultimately pushes a "find someone who accepts you for you" moral, which is good, it gets there by also pressing the positives and benefits of "if other people don't like you then it's your responsibility to change everything about yourself to fit in" which is hypocritical and backhanded
  • The story then drags this basic premise out until it gets axed, at which point the final 3 pages of the final chapter end with the MMC confessing his feelings, the FMC accepting, the rival girl swearing she won't be beaten, and the promise that their relationship will continue, by which the author means it will start because characters in actual relationships are kryptonite to manga authors everywhere.

Putting this on hold with no alerts to check back in a few months to see how far off the mark I end up.

I had hopes that none of this will happen, but then I saw the romance tag.

Dex-chan lover
Nope I am out I don't need any more drama in my life f that snake adios

Dex-chan lover
I had some hopes when I put it in my to-read pile, but this looks like predictable trash.

• loser MMC is a loser only because he lacks confidence, which manifests in ridiculous ways
  • gorgeous FMC is shy and also lacks confidence in spite of the way everyone now fawns all over her
  • former tormentor shows up and will likely be interested in the MMC while potentially not even remembering him when he reveals his identity, setting her up as a shallow easy rival for main girl because complex characters are too much trouble for these stories
  • the two leads will be dense idiots as "friends" and push to the point of basically being in a relationship that everyone can see, but they won't becuase "no no no I can't be in a relationship because who would like someone like me?" and all that even though the solid basis of their friendship-to-not-relationship is the fact that each is the only person the other can be their usual self around is drowned out by the constant social pressure that their usual, real self is an unlikable loser who doesn't deserve happiness unless they follow the crowd.
  • while the story ultimately pushes a "find someone who accepts you for you" moral, which is good, it gets there by also pressing the positives and benefits of "if other people don't like you then it's your responsibility to change everything about yourself to fit in" which is hypocritical and backhanded
  • The story then drags this basic premise out until it gets axed, at which point the final 3 pages of the final chapter end with the MMC confessing his feelings, the FMC accepting, the rival girl swearing she won't be beaten, and the promise that their relationship will continue, by which the author means it will start because characters in actual relationships are kryptonite to manga authors everywhere.

Putting this on hold with no alerts to check back in a few months to see how far off the mark I end up.
Isn't this literally just how romance manga is written, there's little to make variations from. It's literally the skeleton of this genre. The point is that the two leads get together at some point, so it being predictable is practically a given.

Dex-chan lover
The trope of rigid high school castes, everyone being hyper aware of you, and people gossiping about your every move creating "misunderstandings" is really getting old.
I mean it's not wrong tho. Isn't more or less how high school is, if anything mangas just take the already existing circumstances are hyperinflate them for comedic purposes.

Dex-chan lover

I'm afraid of how plausible this sounds...

Don't you love it when the entire plot of a manga disolves in 18pages ?, might as well just do a normal romance than the (most likely) filler that this is gonna be, GEE GEE

Banned
MC is way too conscious of himself. He should save the deep introspecting of his faults and past actions when he is alone by himself. And visibly reacts to his own thoughts in such exaggerated way is no way a normal behavior.
I hope ratatat visit this guy.

Users who are viewing this thread