Kuuki ga "Yomeru" Shinnyushain to Buaiso na Senpai no Hanashi (Serialization) - Vol. 3 Ch. 35

Dex-chan lover
I bet the company's revenue would go up 2% simply by replacing manager Sakaki with someone who's actually interested in making sure the employees are able to work efficiently, without irrelevant worries stressing them. But then again, I imagine Sakaki got his position by licking the boots of someone who was acting exactly like he's acting now.

Dex-chan lover
I bet the company's revenue would go up 2% simply by replacing manager Sakaki with someone who's actually interested in making sure the employees are able to work efficiently, without irrelevant worries stressing them. But then again, I imagine Sakaki got his position by licking the boots of someone who was acting exactly like he's acting now.
Not that Sakaki isn't boofing his job, but there is an argument that he's pushed to boof his job by the office hierarchy system. Assigning work and managing people is easy and could be handled by passing out lists. The team knows what their job is and can do it without someone looking over their shoulder. What Sakaki does is act as an intermediary between the people doing actual work and the managers above him demanding results or growth or something. Since the real work doesn't take much time, Sakaki must fill the gap with taskkeeping and box-checking, minor harassment, and power games. His alternative is to let his team do their work, but then he gets outed for being unnecessary.

I was once a retail store manager. We all had the same simple tasks each day- clean, tidy up the shelves, greet and assist customers when they came in. I didn't need to remind anyone to do their tasks and everything ran super smooth. The company owner however felt that if the team was idle for more than 30 seconds civilization would collapse, and kept telling me to invent meaningless tasks to keep them busy. It was very stressful, ruined morale, and accomplished nothing.

I recommend reading Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber.

Double-page supporter
Not that Sakaki isn't boofing his job, but there is an argument that he's pushed to boof his job by the office hierarchy system. Assigning work and managing people is easy and could be handled by passing out lists. The team knows what their job is and can do it without someone looking over their shoulder. What Sakaki does is act as an intermediary between the people doing actual work and the managers above him demanding results or growth or something. Since the real work doesn't take much time, Sakaki must fill the gap with taskkeeping and box-checking, minor harassment, and power games. His alternative is to let his team do their work, but then he gets outed for being unnecessary.

I was once a retail store manager. We all had the same simple tasks each day- clean, tidy up the shelves, greet and assist customers when they came in. I didn't need to remind anyone to do their tasks and everything ran super smooth. The company owner however felt that if the team was idle for more than 30 seconds civilization would collapse, and kept telling me to invent meaningless tasks to keep them busy. It was very stressful, ruined morale, and accomplished nothing.

Bullshit Jobs is a solid recommendation. The world took Graeber from us too soon!

Dex-chan lover

This reminds me of reading how in China, during the 90's and 2000's, when the astronomical economic boom was going on and great many new Chinese businesses were growing into big ones with a global reach, many companies actually hired American or European "experts". They actually didn't need to be experts at all, they just had to look the part. Their job was to sit in their office, look extremely important, "oversee" various things, attend certain meetings, etc, and especially appear in photos advertising the company. They didn't necessarily understand much of what was going on in the company below the surface. Their role was only to make the business look more international, modern, and serious. That is, they were used to build the corporate image.

That being said, the source would have been lost into the bowels of the net ages ago, so I don't know how credible it was. But it does make certain twisted sense and would fit the theory of "bullshit jobs".

Dex-chan lover
This reminds me of reading how in China, during the 90's and 2000's, when the astronomical economic boom was going on and great many new Chinese businesses were growing into big ones with a global reach, many companies actually hired American or European "experts". They actually didn't need to be experts at all, they just had to look the part. Their job was to sit in their office, look extremely important, "oversee" various things, attend certain meetings, etc, and especially appear in photos advertising the company. They didn't necessarily understand much of what was going on in the company below the surface. Their role was only to make the business look more international, modern, and serious. That is, they were used to build the corporate image.

That being said, the source would have been lost into the bowels of the net ages ago, so I don't know how credible it was. But it does make certain twisted sense and would fit the theory of "bullshit jobs".
It's true! At least one of the anecdotes in Bullshit Jobs is about this.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting reveal about the source of his power. Perfectly good excuse to reread earlier chapters to see how that maps to our FMC's experience :win:

Users who are viewing this thread