Legend of the Galactic Heroes (MICHIHARA Katsumi) - Vol. 3 Ch. 27

Dex-chan lover
Nice intro to arguably one of the most pivotal characters in the series despite coming relatively "late". It's very interesting reading this all again so many years after the anime, yet page 6 (pg127) instantaneously brings to mind and well captures the action that ultimately turns into one of the more memorable lines of the show:
ok0fz7.jpg

Full quote is:
I've never once liked Oberstein as a person. But when I think back, it seems I've followed his advice the most. It's because that man's arguments are so right that they leave no room for debate.
I think the manga does it well here in a highly compressed manner, the small wordless panel on Reinhard's face makes all the difference. It's one of the first times we really see Reinhard actually forced to pause his train of thought, and reconsider for a moment due someone else's arguments. Up to this point he's not always right on everything sure but he clearly so far outstrips many others in raw intelligence and vision that he still ends up with everyone generally following him, or adapting. Here though is someone on his side who truly recognizes his value yet is also able to come up with things he doesn't and make compelling, logical arguments for them that Reinhard is smart enough to see fully too once voiced. Of course, the cold realpolitik and goal driven ruthless pursuit of victory is also a step on the path of that infamous event too.

Good stuff and thanks for the chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread