Like, Share & Subscribe - Ch. 37

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, the pendant, if you only knew little Carrot :meguusmug:

Dex-chan lover
I can't see having lover after lover as being fulfilling. And of course you never know how someone will react if you get pregnant and you're not actually committed to each other 0_0

They're such a family together. Everyone waiting nervously for Li to finish so they can celebrate with her. That's some wholesome stuff right there ^_^

Supporter
Well, that's one way to do a flashback . . . .

I really liked the halo around Hu Laibo's head when Song Li opened her eyes . . .

The fact that it was her sister in the photo (and quite clearly Song You's mother) is unexpected, at least to me - I really assumed it was a previous love of Song Li's. This actually changes the complexion of the whole story, since it's strongly implied that Song Li hasn't had that experience of love (particularly since she was so unhappy with her sister giving up on their shared hobby to pursue relationships) - that would mean Hu Laibo is probably her first love, and all those times Hu Laibo has seemed to be stepping on the toes of Song Li's past lover need to be re-evaluated in that light. I need to think about that, to be honest . . .
I can't see having lover after lover as being fulfilling. And of course you never know how someone will react if you get pregnant and you're not actually committed to each other 0_0
Remember, we're looking at all that through Song Li's perceptions - she's not going to be presenting a properly objective view of her sister's love life, even if she is re-evaluating the idea of falling in love in general . . .
They're such a family together. Everyone waiting nervously for Li to finish so they can celebrate with her. That's some wholesome stuff right there ^_^
I particularly like Song You leaping onto the dogpile - it's hardly surprising Song Li outright collapsed.

Group Leader
Finally a flashback I didn't mind, and it didn't mess up the flow of the story at all imo.

Great work as always scanlating, thanks for your work!

omg you really are the patron saint of the lesbians <3

thank you thank you thank you <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Group Leader
Does this imply that sister is still alive?
So this is more an issue of the way Chinese handles past and present tense. Chinese doesn't really have verb tense so whether something is past, present, or future is usually determined by auxiliary words in the sentence.

In this case, Song Li doesn't add any of those to her statement. In Chinese you wouldn't immediately know whether it's past or present making it a mystery. Unfortunately, in English, all verbs have a past and present tense so I have to pick one.

Supporter
So this is more an issue of the way Chinese handles past and present tense. Chinese doesn't really have verb tense so whether something is past, present, or future is usually determined by auxiliary words in the sentence.

In this case, Song Li doesn't add any of those to her statement. In Chinese you wouldn't immediately know whether it's past or present making it a mystery. Unfortunately, in English, all verbs have a past and present tense so I have to pick one.
Interesting . . .

As far as the translation goes, using the present tense is probably the only reasonable option if the context doesn't present you with more information - it's not exactly great, but it's kind of workable if you can make the distinction between the subject being a common noun rather than a proper noun slightly indistinct . . . It's hard when the subject is "a sister" - that's really too distinctly individual, though depending on the source language it may be possible to phrase it more like "my parents have two daughters", which still reads a bit wrong when one of the daughters is dead, but it's somewhat better. Except that it's kind of a weird construction, unless the subsequent discussion is going to be framed around the parents rather than the siblings, and it feels kind of awkward even then . . . Languages are hard, translation is even harder, so you're kind of stuck with finagling the least-bad option sometimes . . .

The saving throw here, though, is that when you're talking about someone who's been a really big part of your life, and who's still a really big part of your life even if they're dead, it's not weird at all to keep using the present tense automatically. Often you'll see that in a construction like "I have a sister . . . sorry, had a sister", with the internal sense that the sister is still there driving the comment, but then the recollection that as far as the rest of the world is concerned it's a past tense thing triggers the correction. In this context the the potential correction segues into the flashback . . . except the author cuts that off before reaching any kind of firm conclusion. To my mind that means the author is intentionally leaving things ambiguous, and the most natural way to encompass that in English in this context would be to use the present tense and then rely on the ambiguity left by the inconclusive flashback to convey the ambiguity about Song Xue being alive or dead that's there in the original.

The only other thing I'd add is that this only really works if the person referred to was a really big important part of your life, and you're still invested in them sufficiently that your first thought about them isn't "they're dead" - so it implies a bunch of stuff about Song Li's relationship and feelings about her sister, which may or may not be in the original . . . But it's clearly not much of a stretch in this case, so not a problem unless there's lots of other context suggesting otherwise.

Long story short, good choice of words, mystery intact, keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread