Listening to the Stars - Ch. 23 - I'll Help Record, Alright?

Dex-chan lover
Hello everybody, hope you enjoyed reading! While we're on the topic of stars, every once in a while a "once in a lifetime" event happens and this year we'll be witnessing a nova that should be visible with the naked eye. It was predicted to happen in January with an error of 7 months, which means it's coming soon! So keep on the lookout for a new bright light in the night sky!

There's also a solar eclipse on April 8th as well which visible to everyone in the south and east coast of the United States, so mark your calendars — or not! Finally, thank you all once again for reading; thanks to myeobi and jawz for their help; I'll see you all on the next chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Well I guess its a little more beleivable that her cousin was able to fake her voice, if they've been recording together for years and have similar voices and she literally taught her everything she knows about voice acting.

We're really going to get as much mileage as possible out of "Was she listening to my audio drama because she likes me, or is it because she actually hates me?" Arent we? And Heaven forbid we actually just use our words and have an conversation like adults.

Dex-chan lover
We're really going to get as much mileage as possible out of "Was she listening to my audio drama because she likes me, or is it because she actually hates me?" Arent we? And Heaven forbid we actually just use our words and have an conversation like adults.
It's a bit funny, I'm writing a story currently and it has a lot of dialogue. The main duo has a lot "issues" but generally they talk through conflicts right away as they arise. After reading too many manga and watching too many anime with basic communication issues I feel like I'm doing something wrong :sneaky:

But really, Shui Xing, stop trying to shoot yourself in the foot. I hope Chi Yu doesn't take too long to show her how silly she's being.

Dex-chan lover
It's a bit funny, I'm writing a story currently and it has a lot of dialogue. The main duo has a lot "issues" but generally they talk through conflicts right away as they arise. After reading too many manga and watching too many anime with basic communication issues I feel like I'm doing something wrong :sneaky:

But really, Shui Xing, stop trying to shoot yourself in the foot. I hope Chi Yu doesn't take too long to show her how silly she's being.
Not to shove unsolicited advice onto you, but is that really any more realistic? We're emotional and imperfect creatures - the chances of two people constantly running into friction or drama, and consistently talking everything out as if they went to therapy and maxed out their emotional intelligence... That almost seems less realistic than bottling things inside out of fear how the other would react, or running away from the issue instead of confronting it.

Mind you there's obviously a limit, because it should never become a shoe horned way to extend the plot, but I know personally I'd be a little bored if everything that could lead to a reasonable conflict between characters just never happens because they're both S-tier communicators.

I mean, even in this story we know that homosexuality is stigmatized and Chi Yu has not openly expressed interest in women, just a vague "it doesn't bother me" about Chen Xings preferences. They've been hanging out together enough to the point where if everything was revealed, a person in Chi Yu's position might view Chen Xing with disgust or even as a predator. Does the reader think Chi Yu would do that? Absolutely not, but there's no reason to assume Chen Xing as a character has seen enough to risk tanking what little scrap of social life she has left at school by coming clean about it. Hell, even if Chi Yu wasn't disgusted, she could mention to a friend who would tell a friend and so on. Sorry for the essay, the second half was more for the person you replied to but it all goes together anyway

Dex-chan lover
Not to shove unsolicited advice onto you, but is that really any more realistic? We're emotional and imperfect creatures - the chances of two people constantly running into friction or drama, and consistently talking everything out as if they went to therapy and maxed out their emotional intelligence... That almost seems less realistic than bottling things inside out of fear how the other would react, or running away from the issue instead of confronting it.

Mind you there's obviously a limit, because it should never become a shoe horned way to extend the plot, but I know personally I'd be a little bored if everything that could lead to a reasonable conflict between characters just never happens because they're both S-tier communicators.

I mean, even in this story we know that homosexuality is stigmatized and Chi Yu has not openly expressed interest in women, just a vague "it doesn't bother me" about Chen Xings preferences. They've been hanging out together enough to the point where if everything was revealed, a person in Chi Yu's position might view Chen Xing with disgust or even as a predator. Does the reader think Chi Yu would do that? Absolutely not, but there's no reason to assume Chen Xing as a character has seen enough to risk tanking what little scrap of social life she has left at school by coming clean about it. Hell, even if Chi Yu wasn't disgusted, she could mention to a friend who would tell a friend and so on. Sorry for the essay, the second half was more for the person you replied to but it all goes together anyway
No worries. Though perhaps it's not quite as simple as I said/implied - after all most of their interpersonal problems arise because they have trouble communicating without misunderstandings in the first place. Just that they're too important to each other to run off and leave things festering instead of at least trying to clear it up right away or the next day, or promise to talk about it. So while cooling off might even be good sometimes, instead it's a fear of letting the other keep misunderstanding and causing/building up resentment. It does cause additional problems down the road though.

Mind you, it's a story that'll be novel length but I'll be surprised if anyone else will ever read it. And I have illusions about its quality, nor necessarily realism - after all it's a relationship story by someone who sucks at any kind of relationships irl. It's just pretty much a bucket list kind of thing.

But at least it's a change of pace from all these characters who for some reason avoid communication like it's the plague, even with the people dearest to them. In the end it's just putting off the inevitable anyway. Even if in this case it is slightly more understandable than on average with these things.

Just spent the day reading this story!! Thanks for all the uploads and looking forward to the next translation! :)

Users who are viewing this thread