Logic tracking current page and auto scrolling breaks in many cases

Settings:
- Fit to container
- Long strip
- Left to Right

The current way used to track the current page is inconsistent and incomplete. Many a times I end up with weird and catastrophic reactions from the UI.

From what I have seen by now, there are essentially four app managed ways to navigate.
1. Using the paginator on the side bar
2. Left right keys on keyboard
3. Left and right blank areas of the image
4. Click on image

The first three work fine mostly and missteps are rare and not as cringe worthy as the last one's. Usually the tracking gets botched if I don't consistently use app's own methods of navigation. Switching between app managed and browser managed can confuse the system. With me ending up navigating to some other page rather than the one obviously I should have gone to (usually the next one).

Some examples of bad behavior:
1. The UI after it achieves ready state makes the user forcefully fit one of the first two pages randomly in the container. This is bad because usually the loading takes so long that I have had already read a couple pages, only to get moved to some random page at the top. This does not for some reason always happen.
2. The link in address bar will show wrong page no, sometimes more but mostly less. It would auto correct itself if you navigate far enough but it could also go wrong again.
3. Clicking the image can sometimes move me to the second image as if I was on the first one or frustratingly sometimes to some image in the previous chapter.
4. Clicking the image can also sometimes make the UI start navigating backwards till you reach the first image of the chapter or sometimes it may also get you to the previous chapter! Only a refresh can save oneself in the latter case. In the former though it auto switches to forward gear upon reaching the first image.

Point 3 and 4 are the ones that frustrated me enough to post here.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
the chapter direction depends on if you click on the left or right half of the image. Could that be the problem?

I totally understand that feature but I listed multiple problems. If there was just the issue of going one image back, I would have perhaps only cursed in my heart (sorry, its a reflex), at most written a userscript and would never invest so much time writing, experimenting and correcting my observations in this topic. You are a dev, you understand how most devs, despise writing bug reports. Not because its cumbersome but we get inappropriately invested in investigating them to little benefit.

As already described the click nav has tendency to jump multiple images, sometimes it even goes back one whole chapter. How would you feel when you inadvertently click on the image while previously navigating by mouse wheel and the system punishes you like a neglected girlfriend by throwing you, the hapless victim, to some random page in the previous chapter or some previous page of the current chapter.

Since writing the report I have some added observations:
1. The problematic navigation method is only the click on image left/right method.
2. Point 2 is a nuisance and can be worked around by instead focusing on the sidebar page counter.
3. Point 4 is not a problem.
4. I have also observed that the position it throws you back to is the image after the image which you last used click to navigate to.

I totally understand that as it happens randomly, it would be hard to reproduce. Few will have the patience to scour ~200 chapters like I did today and encountered it less than 20 times. I wrote the report on the 6th incidence. You know, don't fix anything else, please just fix this multi-page jumping.

Not him and really not as versed technicaly as he is but I also suffer from this new UI "feature".
I mostly use dex on mobile where I have to use my fingers to scroll down and it often happens that I jump multiple pages back (I use the all pages at once reading style) and sometimes a complete chapter back. I really don't like this change and either want you to possibly fix it or at least add an option to go back to the old UI.

Users who are viewing this thread