Majo to Ryouken - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Conflict

Dex-chan lover
The Candy Witch is probably the witch from Hansel and Gretel, the Sea Witch from the Little Mermaid, the Snow Witch from the Snow Queen, the Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz, and the Briar Witch from Sleeping Beauty.

I’m gonna take a guess that the Mirror Witch is based on the evil queen from Snow White, but I have no idea from what fairy tale the Witch of the Moon could have been inspired by. Anyone have any ideas? The mention of how she led a group of soldiers makes me think that maybe it’s the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland, since she’s the only one I can think of who’s got an army. Maybe the moon imagery is because of the relation to rabbits and lunacy, and Wonderland tends to get related to delirium and madness.

So the princess is definitely getting kidnapped, killed, or otherwise used against the Hound, given how heavy she's laying on the "you'll always protect me, right" stuff. Pace is a bit slow, though, with us not still not having met the Mirror Witch yet in story.

Can't get a read on the Hound, hope he shows more character in the next chapters.

Dex-chan lover
As I recall, it took the soul of a demon to make Mistress Valentine's sword work, so no mystery that a transforming sword would feel inferior without that backing.

Feels kinda weird to present a royal gift and have it be dismissed as something to just sell, tho :lul:

Supporter
The Candy Witch is probably the witch from Hansel and Gretel, the Sea Witch from the Little Mermaid, the Snow Witch from the Snow Queen, the Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz, and the Briar Witch from Sleeping Beauty.

I’m gonna take a guess that the Mirror Witch is based on the evil queen from Snow White, but I have no idea from what fairy tale the Witch of the Moon could have been inspired by. Anyone have any ideas? The mention of how she led a group of soldiers makes me think that maybe it’s the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland, since she’s the only one I can think of who’s got an army. Maybe the moon imagery is because of the relation to rabbits and lunacy, and Wonderland tends to get related to delirium and madness.
Maybe Just maybe since this is a JP Work they wanted to include the only folklore they have that is similar to the others and she is meant to be related to the Kaguya story

Supporter
Cool thing to point Out, theres Artorias sword together with the magical swords presented (also pretty sure the fate's excalibur is there as well, i dont recall the others tho)

Now a Cool theory, Inatera is most likely England, the phonetic(?) is exactly the same as Inglaterra which is the portuguese translation for england

Dex-chan lover
Feel like this manga has done too much world building right at the beginning, front loading stuff with exposition. It's better to build things up gradually, with a more "show, don't tell" approach, not like this where it's just conversation after conversation explaining to us how this world works.

Users who are viewing this thread