Mako-san Wa Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
Pretty sure she didn't literally say "date".
She most likely said 付き合う, which means both "to go out with" in the romantic sense and "to associate with", "to keep company with" or "to get on with" in the platonic sense.

She most likely said 付き合う, which means both "to go out with" in the romantic sense and "to associate with", "to keep company with" or "to get on with" in the platonic sense.
I an practically guarantee it. The hard "date" was a poor choice of words for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
I an practically guarantee it. The hard "date" was a poor choice of words for the translation.
It's hard to find a translation that captures that same level of ambiguity though, which is a recurring and most likely unsolvable problem when translating manga to English, given how often Japanese can be ambiguous and how much of their comedy is built on that. I think the best approach is just to accept that you can't really fully capture the joke and add TL notes to explain what happened.

Just to be clear, she does use the word "date" here.
Z5WYebD.png

Users who are viewing this thread