MamaYuyu - Vol. 4 Ch. 29 - Closer

Dex-chan lover
I think the problems started really early on when they just pushed Mamma out of the picture. I felt like the mother/son dynamic was the selling point for this series and because that thread was abandoned really early on I think that's what led to people losing interest.

Contributor
It didn't feel much like closure. If not "the end" at the last page, and tropey showcasing most of the cast together on the last page, I wouldn't know it ended.

I'd like it if author focused on doing his own thing and making satisfying ending for last ~10~ chapters, like Two on Ice did. (It didn't even end yet, and it already has better closure.)

I liked the series overall a lot. So I'm extra bitter I think. WSJ never triggered me like this. And I'm reading all series on WSJ since 2019.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I think the problems started really early on when they just pushed Mamma out of the picture. I felt like the mother/son dynamic was the selling point for this series and because that thread was abandoned really early on I think that's what led to people losing interest.
She's a great character but any time she showed up was to get hurt, that sucks... and also turning the series into a pseudo harem wasn't good either.
And there's the boring looking enemy too, I couldn't believe it at first, I thought it was someone else on top or one of many but nope, everyone else was good inside... :bleh:

Dex-chan lover
Yep, as soon as I found out the mother/son dynamic was not gonna be the focus of the story called MAMAYUYU, my interest sunk into the abyss, and every chap I was just reading them hoping she would appear again.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, it's a shame it had to end the way it did. Especially with very little character interaction with the main cast in the end. It had a lot of great moments and some questionable ones. Like some people have already said it was weird the mom/demon lord was utilized so little in a story with her basically being in the title. But I will definitely be checking out Hayashi's next work. They really have some great ideas and paneling. I recommend for everyone to read their one-shot Henohenomoheji to Bou Ningen to Pantsu. It's really good.

Dex-chan lover
the fact that it was almost a bait-and-switch with the reason for being named Mamayuyu certainly was a downer, but it felt at least INTERESTING to see where it went. And it was nice in the end, but it feels like there were parts where the story was kinda adrift without much palpable progress.

Also sidelining Mamama so hard certainly didn't do it any favors. I was really hoping it would end better than this...but it could have been worse.

VIP
my main issue with this series is that it has lack of focus and it's really show up since start. it's begin with awesome mother and son relationship, then suddenly turn into unfocused action? then pseudo harem? also war of different worlds? like what? shame since it's looks cool. 6/10.

Dex-chan lover
The lack of focus killed it.
Also, the fact that there was little space for the mother son interaction and how all the characters just kept on being forced in and romance added so quickly.....

Users who are viewing this thread