March Comes in Like a Lion - Vol. 15 Ch. 164 - Path (4)

Dex-chan lover
Character growth. Overcoming his depression a little bit ta time. How nice. Makes me want to keep living. If only for a little while longer to see hina and him get married... LOL
Many thanks

I really don’t know what to think about his thought process, I’m glad he won, but it seems like this match took everything he had to beat him.
So is he is afraid or worried he might lose his happiness ?

Supporter
Have we caught up to the raws?

@unime I feel you. This manga is a masterpiece, and one of the few that expertly explores darker corners of ordinary human soul.

Hmm.... i wanted the loss so we got character growth. We still got character growth so yay, but unsettling how he views this win. When his one escape and salvation of shogi he has had from childhood he can now see as a trap.

@zael we have been caught up to the Raws for awhile, Dascalon said the next chapter will come out on the 11th so all we have to do is wait patiently.
@unime that would be awesome, hope Rei proposes before the series ends.

Agghhh, it's too short. I want more. I want a third season of the anime and a full volume to read between episodes. This manga is too enjoyable.

Dex-chan lover
@Omegax That isn't really new. He's had a . . . complicated relationship with shogi from the start. It was all he had, but also a very dark thing. A place in life, some kind of acceptance, was a trade for the lie "I like shogi".
What's different is that, for a while it seemed like the good people in his life were pulling him out of the darkness, giving him a base, a place of life to operate from, but now something's fucking that up too. I don't really understand why.

At the same time . . . holy shit. He beat that guy! Only in 3-Gatsu no Lion would beating an experienced player, higher dan than him, with a recently reinvigorated playing style, in an important match, be a minor point mentioned in passing amidst the main event of internal psychological issues. Normally it'd be like big fanfare, digging deep, guts, psychological turnarounds, building finally to triumph and sweet, sweet victory yeah! Here it's like he was apparently a cross between panicking and deep in a dark fugue the whole time and oh, by the way he won. Chica Umino is incredible. This kid is becoming a shogi monster--if he can just keep his sanity while he does it.

I wonder... Does Rei secretly hate Shogi. His whole deal was sort of: "survival no matter what". Shogi was kind of his lifeline for that reason, it was the shore he washed up on to keep from drowning. But that's mostly because it was his only choice. I think now that he has Hina, that he intends to make life with Hina, he's realized he doesn't need Shogi. If he were to continue into the world of shogi, he'd end up going deeper into the darkness that his match with Tanaka put him in. I suppose this is the moment where Rei has to decide whether he wants to go deeper or distance himself from Shogi in order to get closer to have a normal-er life with Hina.

I don't know if I should feel relieved, worried, hopeful or all of the above.

Dex-chan lover
If only I can @ everyone but anyway. My thought on this is such that Rei is confused as to what shogi means to him now at this stage in his life. before shogi was all he had. It was obvious to him that without shogi he wouldn't have survived. But now, with his new relationships, and Hina at the crux of it, he's beginning to get confused. The darkness to me symbolizes his thoughts getting muddy. There is relief but at the same time fear. Fighting with shogi was all he knew for over half his life. Now he's taking a step away from that and its scary, even if the step is towards something more healthy. Which goes back to the time when he moved out of the adopted house. He was scared of surviving on his own but relieved that he could give solace to the family that he believed he ruined.

@Zael Yep. Makes me curious as to Umino Chica-sensai's life.

@dragons06 He has proposed LOL In the arc with the girls' dad. Just waiting for Hina to say yes.

Ahh... old wounds resurfaced after feeling relief. I know that feel. Anxiety is overwhelming, but I hope Rei won't be overwhelmed like in the start of the series.

I think is time for some of Rei blood-relatives to appear, maybe to see if he is willing to try to take the place he's father had in the hospital??... don't know but I feel Kiriyama's family (blood relatives) need an apperance, lik the sister's father. some sort of antagonist for this arc.

@R3yos I would pay to see that happen, his aunt seemed like a real B$tch, if I remember I think the sisters husband wanted to take over the hospital ?
there is quite a lot of story that can still be told here, its actually pretty cool.

This chapter has made me feel afraid for Rei. For some reason, I feel like he's about to head towards a bad nervous breakdown.

I was expecting rei to lose here...
well, seeing how this chapter goes, I agree with most people here that something bad might happen to rei now.
maybe next arc is about rei having another depression or having to make a hard decision and then the kawamoto family helps him get through it, kinda mimics the way rei helps the kawamotos from the arcs before

Users who are viewing this thread