Medaka Kuroiwa is Impervious to My Charms - Vol. 10 Ch. 85 - Shopping With That Bastard

Dex-chan lover
Did this need to turn into another generic Harem Manga? The series started out as Mona as the Point of View character and it was a spicy take on an aggressive girl trying to seduce the monk who couldn't go along with it. It was all about her being super embarrassed but determined to make him like her. Lot of fun Ecchi and spicy situations and it was great.

But then the series just changed completely, at some point we just became another generic Harem Manga. I've read this exact scene with the girl giving a fake reason to "buy a present" for a friend. We even had the freaking Beauty Pageant Arc, a staple in 1000's of Harems. It's all generic tropes now, chapter after chapter, but every single panel has amazing art which keeps me coming back.

But we lost the Lewd along the way, that was the biggest loss. We just got 1 panel a few months ago where she thought "I was really aggressive, oh you silly goose, glad I don't do that anymore" followed by the "boy going the family for dinner" scene with the dad stare down you've read 1000 times.

Dex-chan lover
Did this need to turn into another generic Harem Manga? The series started out as Mona as the Point of View character and it was a spicy take on an aggressive girl trying to seduce the monk who couldn't go along with it. It was all about her being super embarrassed but determined to make him like her. Lot of fun Ecchi and spicy situations and it was great.

But then the series just changed completely, at some point we just became another generic Harem Manga. I've read this exact scene with the girl giving a fake reason to "buy a present" for a friend. We even had the freaking Beauty Pageant Arc, a staple in 1000's of Harems. It's all generic tropes now, chapter after chapter, but every single panel has amazing art which keeps me coming back.

But we lost the Lewd along the way, that was the biggest loss. We just got 1 panel a few months ago where she thought "I was really aggressive, oh you silly goose, glad I don't do that anymore" followed by the "boy going the family for dinner" scene with the dad stare down you've read 1000 times.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:you're right man(y)(y)

Dex-chan lover
Our boy Medaka is a natural-born secret agent: no conversational loopholes, no way to extract any information about him, every word is precisely non-committal and ambiguous. Agent Twilight (Spy x Family) would be recruiting this guy in no time.

Dex-chan lover

Interesting. Do you think this manga would have benefited from a "How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno" approach, as in, instead of inventing new technological marvels to put yourself and your love interest in more couple like situations, our MC is trying everything to attract our dense monk in training MC (and hilariously failing at it)?

Dex-chan lover
Interesting. Do you think this manga would have benefited from a "How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno" approach, as in, instead of inventing new technological marvels to put yourself and your love interest in more couple like situations, our MC is trying everything to attract our dense monk in training MC (and hilariously failing at it)?
That sounds like a 4 koma.

Dex-chan lover

100% agree. Especially with kohai girl who just appeared out of nowhere with "well i met him someday ago and it was love from the first sign". Worst girl introduction in harem manga ever, flat character.
I blame this crap on editors, bcs they always press down author to add cliche twist bcs they sell in other mangas. 95% of the editors is the plague of modern manga.

Dex-chan lover
100% agree. Especially with kohai girl who just appeared out of nowhere with "well i met him someday ago and it was love from the first sign". Worst girl introduction in harem manga ever, flat character.
I blame this crap on editors, bcs they always press down author to add cliche twist bcs they sell in other mangas. 95% of the editors is the plague of modern manga.
And what if the author just wanted to do this on their own accord? I get not liking how a story progresses but aren't we being a little much by acting like it's always the editor's fault.

Dex-chan lover

It's almost as if reading multiple stories of the same genre numerous times, one can start to see the tropes and gimmicks synonymous with those genres. Also, aren't all tropes "generic" when you get down to it, you can't exactly write a story nowadays without retreading some ground, it's impossible. You can complain bout executions I suppose but then that's more in line with being more of a personal issue rather than anything of subjective merit, the story is moving along at a steady enough pace, all the girls recognize their feelings and are making efforts to win over Medaka if anything we just need a bit more out of Medaka, and we're golden, at least imo.

Dex-chan lover
It's almost as if reading multiple stories of the same genre numerous times, one can start to see the tropes and gimmicks synonymous with those genres. Also, aren't all tropes "generic" when you get down to it, you can't exactly write a story nowadays without retreading some ground, it's impossible. You can complain bout executions I suppose but then that's more in line with being more of a personal issue rather than anything of subjective merit, the story is moving along at a steady enough pace, all the girls recognize their feelings and are making efforts to win over Medaka if anything we just need a bit more out of Medaka, and we're golden, at least imo.
And what if the author just wanted to do this on their own accord? I get not liking how a story progresses but aren't we being a little much by acting like it's always the editor's fault.
I read few interviews, and in mainstream (published by major publishers like Shonen) manga is always build the same way bcs of the editors demand. "You manga is popular, so we will milk it, and to do so - you need harem/rivalry, so add a new girl. Than add another girl." They just can't imagine (or afford to waste time and money?) that something "maybe will be a hit without harem" (if we are talking about romcom, for example here), they prefer stable mediocracy. We all saw that hundreds of times.
Thats why i like some independent small publishers, or webmanga (Boku no Kokoro, Kubo-san etc) - bcs there authors can afford to write what they want and how they want it. And in this mangas you there is never this shitty harem trope or some other typical romcom cliches that we are sick off.
Well, thats only how I see it anyway.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I read few interviews, and in mainstream (published by major publishers like Shonen) manga is always build the same way bcs of the editors demand. "You manga is popular, so we will milk it, and to do so - you need harem/rivalry, so add a new girl. Than add another girl." They just can't imagine (or afford to waste time and money?) to something that "maybe will be a hit", they prefer stable mediocracy. We all saw that hundreds of times.
That why i like some independent small publishers, or webmanga (Boku no Kokoro, Kubo-san etc) - bcs there authors can afford to write what they want. And in this mangas there almost never is this shitty harem tropes.
Editors suck out all the creativity the mangaka had. Kinda the same situation as the movies/video games industry.

Dex-chan lover
tomo and asahi are cute but yeah i second that this didn't really need a harem
also this author is kind pissing me off without he's reusing panels multiple times in every chapter

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover

I'm glad so many people are having the same thoughts as me, I was pissed when Asahi was introduced out of nowhere. This manga had all the makings of a fun manga with a fun theme that revolved around Medaka and Mona. But no, they had to shoehorn some randoms and even had Mona's friend fall for the guy. Talk about insanely cliched.

Aggregator gang
I've read and worked on the series from start till now and in the future, however the series was much better when it was just focusing on Mona and Medaka. That was the whole charm of the story, we didn't need a harem and it felt extremely forced, in other harems you wouldn't be surprised but in this? Tomo joining? What the fuck moment. The majority in the west thinks alike. You can really see the quality of the manga shining when Mona is doing things. And that is also the opinion largely shared by japanese fans (at least in the wsm app's comments for example).
The harem aspect also is not a competition, Mona has by far more screentime than any other due to her being the protag in the first place, obviously the protagonist is not gonna lose.

Dex-chan lover
I read few interviews, and in mainstream (published by major publishers like Shonen) manga is always build the same way bcs of the editors demand. "You manga is popular, so we will milk it, and to do so - you need harem/rivalry, so add a new girl. Than add another girl." They just can't imagine (or afford to waste time and money?) that something "maybe will be a hit without harem" (if we are talking about romcom, for example here), they prefer stable mediocracy. We all saw that hundreds of times.
Thats why i like some independent small publishers, or webmanga (Boku no Kokoro, Kubo-san etc) - bcs there authors can afford to write what they want and how they want it. And in this mangas you there is never this shitty harem trope or some other typical romcom cliches that we are sick off.
But if we talk about it from the business end of things, that's the editor's job isn't it: to ensure the mangaka can produce something that will sell, cuz why would the magazine run the risk of a maybe when they have something that's proven to work? Manga like Boku no Kokoro isn't that much different if we're talking strictly tropes though, it's their usage of said tropes and overall character development that sets it apart. Like I said in another comment by all accounts at its core every story in a genre is bound by the inherent tropes of said genre, making them all "generic", the deciding factor comes from which tropes the author wants to make use of and their own personal execution of them in their story.

Personally, just seeing that a manga has a trope (whether common or not) isn't enough of a justifiable reason to hold it as a flaw of the series. It can be, but only from a subjective standpoint, as there's nothing anyone can really do if you just don't like a certain trope, no matter how well it's executed. To me, so long as the author makes proper use of it they use whatever writing conventions they wish. There's a reason why in isekai series like Smartphone is hated and Mushoku Tensei is loved despite both being filled with the same tropes the genre is known for.

Users who are viewing this thread